Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
October 10, 2010
“We were surprised,” said Dallerie Davis, co-founder of the City of Presidents Project. “We thought, if they’re gonna get that excited about one statue of a President, why don’t we give them all of the Presidents?”
And now they’re all here — well, almost all of them.
Methodically, over the past ten years, life-size bronze statues of every President (minus Obama, who’s still in office) have been added to street corners in downtown Rapid City. The final three — Bill Clinton, Chester A. Arthur, and George W. Bush — were unveiled this weekend.
(Fans of W now have two statues to choose from.)
Since we’re so used to seeing our attraction Presidents at an epic scale, the street corner Presidents of Rapid City can seem unnaturally small. Dallerie said that people sometimes confuse the uniformed William Henry Harrison with Julius Caesar, and often ask where Benjamin Franklin is (despite his status as Mr. $100 Bill, he was never a President).
Only 42 of Rapid City’s 80 downtown street corners are now occupied by Presidents. We asked Dallerie if the “City of Vice-Presidents Project” might be next. She answered with an emphatic no, but said that the city was thinking about erecting statues of First Ladies, or, perhaps inspired by Barney, presidential pets.
America's Street Corner Presidents
- W. St. Joseph St., Rapid City, SD
- Downtown, at street corners along Main and St. Joseph Sts (which parallel each other) between 4th and 9th Sts. The Info Center -- where you can pick up a map -- is on the northwest corner of 7th and Main. Nixon is on the southwest corner of 5th and St. Joseph.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Discussion is closed.
- Two Gallows, One Beatle: Good Times At The Old Jail
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes