Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
June 10, 2009
Themed hotel rooms are a sure-fire lodging gimmick, bound to attract vacationers and honeymooners looking for “a little something different.” This summer, two extreme and horrifying examples of the genre are available for overnight sensory overload.
The John V. Morse Room at the Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast in Fall River, Massachusetts can be reserved year-round, but a very special Ebay auction takes place annually for the right to book August 4th. That’s the anniversary of the 1892 morning when the bloodied body of Abby D. Borden (Lizzie’s mom) was found in the now charming and innocuous looking country chic chamber. Lizzie Borden “took an axe”—well, there is a tiny bit of doubt, as she was acquitted at trial—and now you and a loved one can take a disturbing dream vacation. Souvenir T-shirts, a Lizzie Borden bobblehead doll, and breakfast for two is included.
Last year it went for a far-from-horrifying $405. The one downside? As there are daily tours of the building, most rooms must be cleared out by 11 AM to accommodate curious, creep-seeking visitors.
[Update: The room went for the final bid of $305]
If the Lizzie Borden B&B makes you see red, the new Barbie Suite at the Palms Casino in Las Vegas will surely make you see pink. At an astounding $4,000 a night, this frilly fantasy was designed by potter-turned-perky-lifestyle-guru Jonathan Adler. Sickeningly sweet touches include a sunburst mirror made of 65 Barbie™ dolls, poodle sculptures guarding the fireplace, an extra-large Jacuzzi ™ tub, high-heel-patterned wall paper, and lots of Lucite™.
At 2,350-square, with a 50 person capacity (for parties, we assume, not sleeping, as there are only three beds) there is more than enough room to fulfill any Pepto-Bismol™-tinged fantasy. (Uh…let’s not go there after all.)
Amusingly, this was formerly the “Hot Pink Suite”—complete with stripper poles in the Show Shower™.
It’s all supposed to be very fun and upbeat, but we think that a stay in the Barbie Suite may make you want to murder someone.
Sections: Attraction News Comments Off
Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast
- 92 Second St., Fall River, MA
- I-195 exit 7. South on Hwy 81. Turn right at the Walgreen's (Rodman St.), then turn right at he first light onto Second St. Look for the green house on the right after St Mary's Cathedral.
- Tours daily on the hour 11 am - 3 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Discussion is closed.
- Two Gallows, One Beatle: Good Times At The Old Jail
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes