Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
May 18, 2010
Pilgrim’s Pride is moving. Pilgrim’s Head is not.
That’s the news from Pittsburg, Texas, where Pilgrim’s Pride (the chicken company) is packing its corporate headquarters and moving it to Colorado.
Fortunately for glaze-eyed devotees, the big giant head of Bo Pilgrim isn’t moving anywhere.
Pilgrim’s Pride went bankrupt in 2009, blaming it in part on the soaring cost of chicken feed, too many chickens, and not enough chicken-eaters. In desperation, the company sold itself to beef and pork giant Swift & Company. Part of the deal was that Pilgrim’s Pride would move its chicken brain trust from their home in Pittsburg in east Texas to Swift’s headquarters in Greeley, Colorado.
We were alarmed by the news, knowing how once-revered giant symbols of subsumed corporations are often demolished or shuffled off to permanent away-from-the-public storage.
Pilgrim’s Pride’s VP Gary Rhodes told us quit worrying — most of the company’s operations would stay in Pittsburg, including its huge freezer building and the giant head in front of it.
Transplanted Pilgrim’s Pride executives will no longer be able to gaze out their office windows and see Bo Pilgrim’s giant head staring back at them — but maybe that’s what distracted them from staying in business in the first place.
Sections: Attraction News Comments Off
Giant Bo Pilgrim Head
- 4845 Hwy. 271 N, Pittsburg, TX
- From Pittsburg, take Highway 271 north approx. 6 miles and the head is on the left hand (west) side of the road, right in front of the 4 story freezer/distribution facility, not too far south of I-30. Across the road from Pilgrim's Pride World Headquarters Park.
- Always visible. To approach, sign in with security. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- The Best
Discussion is closed.
- Derek Costello: Hard-Working Master of Wax
- Toby Fraley’s Secret Life of Robots: Silicon Homebodies
- 2014: Giant Pegasus And Revolutionary Robots
- Welcome Back Velveteria, The Museum Of Velvet Art
- Flick’s Lick: Triple Dog Dare for Hammond, IN
- Brawny Men of San Francisco Bay