Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
July 31, 2008
Will porn ever get the respect it deserves? That trail was blazed by the Museum Of Sex in New York City and has now reached Las Vegas, with its new Harry Mohney’s Erotic Heritage Museum. Harry, described on the museum’s web site as “America’s leading Erotologist,” is also the developer of the Deja Vu Showgirls strip club franchise, one of which stands next door to the museum.
This is no glory-hole-in-the-wall establishment. It’s a 24,000-sq-ft building with a gallery of art, a large gift shop, and life-sized replicas of an adult movie set and a peepshow booth. According to an article in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Museum has “25 warehouses full of collections.” No one under 18 is admitted, but seniors get a $3 discount off of admission.
As with the Museum of Sex, this place takes itself Very Seriously in order to be seen as credible. Its staff of curators all have a “Dr.” in front of their names (just like the naughty nurse managers had at the Heart Attack Grill). The web site emphasizes the important conservation mission of saving endangered erotica. Its porno film archive is called “The Collection of the Moving Image.” The museum is staging private openings on four successive days, ending with the public unveiling this Sunday. Actually, the rituals began back in June, with a “blessing ceremony” conducted by three Buddhist monks.
We hope Harry Mohney’s Erotic Heritage Museum loses its inhibitions soon, perhaps becoming more like Las Vegas’s other porn attraction, the Legends of Erotica Hall of Fame. The new museum is only a half-block from the now-defunct Elvis-A-Rama Experience, so perhaps it can draw entertainment energy from The King as well. Didn’t Elvis conserve porn?
Harry Mohney's Erotic Heritage Museum
- 3275 Industrial Rd, Las Vegas, NV
- A block west of The Strip and the Fashion Show Mall. At Industrial and W. Desert Inn Rds, next to the Deja Vu Showgirls strip club.
- T-Th 11-4, F-Sa 12-10, Su 11-4 (Call to verify)
- Adults $15.00
One Response to “Grand Opening For Las Vegas Sex Museum”
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man