Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
December 31, 2008
• Big Bopper’s Casket: The casket of long-dead rocker The Big Bopper, currently on display at the Texas Musicians Museum, is going up for auction on eBay. But an even deader economy may kill the sale. Recent attempts to auction off the Elvis is Alive! Museum and the giant Styrofoam Liberty have resulted in 0 bids.
• Surfer Dude Nude – Not!: After 17 years, Ocean City, California, is going to get a surfer dude statue — but only after its sponsors promised not to make him nude. If they had just made him look like a nerd, the clothes would have been supplied.
• The Red Badge of Shopping: Anoka, Minnesota, wants to honor the first Civil War Union volunteer with a shopping plaza. We hope that this marks the revival of a fondly remembered art form.
• Kids Bathe Lincoln: School kids have collected 300,000 pennies to give Idaho’s Lincoln statue a bath. Pennies and Abe Lincoln attractions have had a long and obvious history.
Sections: Roadside News Comments Off
Discussion is closed.
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man