Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
April 29, 2012
1982 was a rough year for Seguin, Texas — the year that it lost bragging rights as the Home of the World’s Largest Pecan.
Until 2007, that is. That’s when Sherry Nefford-Esse, president of the Seguin Area Chamber of Commerce, traveled to Brunswick and brought back photos (and probably a postcard) of the pecan. With a better understanding of the competition, Seguin vowed to reclaim its title. In late 2011, it did — unveiling a new champion 16 feet long and 8 feet wide, indisputably the world’s largest. “As the Pecan Capital of Texas,” said Sherry, “we felt we had to have the World’s Largest Pecan.”
In fact, visitors to the Seguin Chamber of Commerce (116 N. Camp St., M-F 8:30-5, Sa 9-1) can pick up a Trail of Nuts map that will direct them to not only the 1962 and 2011 World’s Largest Pecans, but to a third mighty nut, 10 feet long, that was built in 2005 before the dimensions of the Brunswick pecan were known.
How big would that pecan be? 50 feet long? 100 feet? It may be another 30 years before it’s built, but that’s no problem, said Sherry in Seguin; her town is ready to defend its hard-won title. “You can never say you’ll never be challenged,” said Sherry. “I guess we’ll just have to start planning.”
World's Largest Pecan
Texas Agricultural and Heritage Center
- 390 Cordova Rd, Seguin, TX
- North of town. I-10 exit 609. Drive north two miles on Hwy 123/N. Austin St. Turn left at the stoplight onto Cordova Rd. You'll see a big red barn up ahead on the right; the Pecan is parked next to it. You can also pick up a "Trail of Nuts" map that will lead you to all three of Seguin's giant pecans at the Chamber of Commerce, 116 N. Camp St., M-F 8:30-5, Sa 9-1.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Discussion is closed.
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man