Find Arizona travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Top Rated Attractions
The Mystery of the Desert beckons the freeway-weary from 247 billboards. What is it? We won't tell...
It's like traveling back to 1950 when you snooze in teepee motel comfort at this Route 66 landmark.
Green Valley, Arizona
An important Atomic Tour sight -- a fully restored missile base, relic of the Cold War.
Behind those dinosaurs chomping on women, there's petrified wood for sale.
A packed gathering of brightly painted, homemade prehistoric creatures just off of Route 66. Highest dino density per square foot.
Chaotic Old West street of wandering burros and free gunfights.
Perfectly preserved whoring and party hub of 19th century Tombstone. 140 visible bullet holes in its walls. Home to ghosts and a diminutive Merman.
While the human performers are still home sleeping, animated mannequins provide a "living dead" reenactment of the famous gun battle.
Gunfights, prostitutes, more gunfights, and the Wild West's most iconic graveyard. And a Merman.
Aren't you glad you weren't standing on this spot 50,000 years ago?
WPA giant metal umbrella protects a four-story, crumbling ancient Indian building. The mud structure's original purpose remains a mystery.
Two Bunyan Muffler Men brandish axes in the name of school spirit. To terrify visiting teams, this one stands behind the Lumberjack's backboard.
One of the better-mounted of the increasingly numerous Mother Road museums. In 2015 the "Route 66 Electric Vehicle Museum" was added to the building.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
The real 950-ft. long bridge moved at great expense from England. Piranha 3D was filmed here in 2009.
Art community's utopian vision is 700 years from completion. While you're waiting, buy a bell.
Peach Springs, Arizona
A show cave and several dinosaurs await along this desolate stretch of historic Route 66. Elevator drops 200+ feet down into cave, which features Civil Defense leftovers, and the Chapel of the Ages.
Part of the chaotic and fascinating yard statuary of collector Don Parks, this big fiberglass lumberjack seems puzzled by the absence of trees.
Anti-violence sculpture by artist Robert John Miley features a happy 24-ft. tall figure emerging from a partly melted pile of actual crime guns.
Lavish burial site of Arizona's wackiest (and seven times elected) governor, George W.P. Hunt. The pyramid sits on a hill in scenic Papago Park.
"Big Johnson" -- cowboy muffler man -- is a local landmark.
Hi Jolly was imported from the Middle East, along with a lot of camels, to cross the sandy wastes of the American Southwest.
1878 Silver Mine attraction burrows much more than six feet under the wild west town of Tombstone. Guided walk; head-level outcroppings thoughtfully painted orange.
Artist Felix Lucero sculpted it to thank God for sparing him in World War I. He lived under a nearby bridge.
30-acre Arizona vacation home of the Modern Stone Age Family. Open since 1972.
A 1970s rock lyric has been transformed into a 21st century tourist photo op.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of Arizona
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Arizona attractions.
- Amado: Restaurant Shaped like a Longhorn Skull
- Apache Junction: Superstition Mountain Museum
- Benson: Kartchner Caverns [tips]
- Bisbee: Shady Dell RV Park and Dot's Diner [tips]
- Bisbee: Queen Mine Tour [tips]
- Camp Verde: Montezuma Castle Indian Ruins [tips]
- Chandler: Rawhide Wild West Town [tips]
- Cool Springs: 1920s Route 66 Gas Station
- Coolidge: Casa Grande Ruins
- Dragoon: The Thing?
- Flagstaff: Lumberjack Muffler Man - Inside
- Flagstaff: Cliff Dwellings Overlook and Trail [tips]
- Florence: Murders, Executions, Cactus Living Room [tips]
- Florence: Pyramid Tomb of the Father of Arizona
- Goldfield: Goldfield Ghost Town [tips]
- Grand Canyon Village: Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Village: Desert View Watchtower [tips]
- Grand Canyon West: Grand Canyon Skywalk [tips]
- Green Valley: Titan Missile Museum
- Hackberry: Hackberry General Store - Route 66 Stuff [tips]
- Hereford: 75-Foot-Tall Celtic Cross and 31-Foot-Tall Virgin Mary [tips]
- Holbrook: Wigwam Village Motel No. 6
- Holbrook: Stewart's Petrified Wood
- Holbrook: Wild Bill - 2.9 Million Year Old Alligator
- Holbrook: Two Homemade Dinosaurs
- Holbrook: Rainbow Rock Shop Dinosaurs
- Joseph City: Jackrabbit Trading Post
- Kayenta: Monument Valley [tips]
- Kingman: Historic Route 66 Museum
- Lake Havasu City: London Bridge
- Maricopa: Dwarf Car Museum [tips]
- Mayer: Arcosanti: An Urban Laboratory
- Oatman: Living Ghost Town: Burros and Gunfights
- Oracle: Biosphere 2 [tips]
- Peach Springs: Grand Canyon Caverns
- Phoenix: Mystery Castle [tips]
- Phoenix: Muffler Man - Bunyan
- Phoenix: Release the Fear - Melted Weapons Sculpture
- Phoenix: Governor Hunt's Pyramid Tomb
- Phoenix: Don Parks - Yard of Statues and Stuff
- Picacho: Rooster Cogburn's Ostrich Ranch [tips]
- Pomerene: Gammons Gulch - Movie Set and Museum [tips]
- Prescott: Muffler Man - Big Johnson
- Quartzsite: Hi Jolly's Tomb
- Safford: Space Shuttle Simulator, Large Camera Obscura [tips]
- Scottsdale: Giddy-Up Daddy: Bil Keane Horsy Ride Statue
- Scottsdale: Phallic Rock [tips]
- Seligman: Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In [tips]
- Seligman: Roadkill Cafe [tips]
- Sun City: World's First Retirement Community Museum
- Tombstone: Bird Cage Theater Museum
- Tombstone: O.K. Corral
- Tombstone: Good Enough Mine
- Tombstone: Tombstone, Arizona
- Tombstone: Boot Hill
- Tombstone: Historama
- Tucson: Old Tucson - Wild West Town Movie Set
- Tucson: Glenn Stone - Muffler Man [tips]
- Tucson: Garden of Gethsemane
- Tucson: Valley of the Moon [tips]
- Tucson: Muffler Man [tips]
- Tucson: 25-Ton Tiki Head [tips]
- Tucson: Pima Air & Space Museum and Aircraft Boneyard [tips]
- Tucson: Avatar 9/11 Memorial [tips]
- Tucson: Wishing Shrine of El Tiradito [tips]
- Tucson: The Goop, Mini-Golf Alien Survivor [tips]
- Walapai: Giganticus Headicus
- Williams: Flintstones Bedrock City
- Window Rock: Navajo Code Talkers Statue [tips]
- Winslow: Standin' on the Corner Park
- Winslow: Meteor Crater - Barringer Crater
- Yuma: Muffler Man - Mutant
- Yuma: Territorial Prison
- Yuma: Bridge To Nowhere
- Yuma: Castle Dome Ghost Town and Museum [tips]