Orlando, Florida Attractions
Unusual landmarks, museums, roadside attractions, and hidden wonders in Orlando and the surrounding area.
This city would be a big land-locked nothing -- not even much of a city -- were it not for the sucking draw of Disney, Sea World, and Universal Studios. Every other attraction within 25 miles battles for the spare half-day of glassy-eyed theme park escapees, while offering a rich bed of swampy Florida muck for you.
Popular in-town ticking-clock attractions recreate the last days of an ocean liner and Jesus, while veteran draws like the Walk of Fame and the Cypress Methuselah suggest that there were tourists here long before The Mouse arrived.
Even more oddball thrills can be found in the towns surrounding Orlando, with a Citrus Tower to the west and a giant alligator to the east. Kissimmee -- a sprawling haven of opportunistic dinner theaters and garish gift complexes -- hosts the majestic (for Florida) Monument of States, and is home to Gatorland, which has some of the best reptile wrasslin' shows in the state.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
The world's slickest, most entertaining alligator attraction. Wresting shows, Jumparoo feeding shows, a "Screaming' Gator" zip line over the pits...
A 200-foot-long alligator-shaped building named "Swampy."
A towering monument assembled after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor using rocks from every state. All 48 of 'em.
Orlando's tourist attraction tribute to the doomed ocean liner.
"Visit Jerusalem in Orlando!" proclaim promos for this 15-acre replica land of the Bible. Costumed historical interpreters, New Testament landmarks.
In and Around Orlando
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Florida attractions.
- Clermont: Presidents Hall of Fame [tips]
- Orlando: Half-Buried Giant Woman [tips]
- Winter Park: The Molecular Dog
- Winter Park: Rollins College Walk of Fame [tips]
- Orlando: The Holy Land Experience
- Winter Park: American Flag House [tips]
- Orlando: Giant Cross at First Baptist [tips]
- Orlando: Fertility Statues at Ripley's [tips]
- Orlando: Suburban Home Replica of Graceland [tips]
- Orlando: Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition
- Orlando: World's Largest Entertainment McDonald's
- Longwood: Paint the Trail [tips]
- Orlando: European Gourmet McDonald's
- Orlando: Wonderworks - Upside-Down Building [tips]
- Kissimmee: Gatorland
- Kissimmee: Tupperware World HQ Museum [tips]
- Orlando: Mount Rushmore Made of Chocolate
- Longwood: Cypress Methuselah - Burned! [tips]
- Kissimmee: Monument of States
- Bithlo: School Bus Figure 8 Races [tips]
- Oviedo: Downtown's Wild Chickens [tips]