Find Iowa travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
2,500 square feet of Cabbage Patch Kids and accessories, the personal collection of "Cabbage Patch Lady" Donna Brown. Don't miss the Cabbage Patch Space Shuttle astronauts.
A combatant in the World's Crookedest Street battle, in an unexpected place. No traffic back-ups to drive down Snake Alley, unlike San Francisco's more famous crooked street.
This is the place. Photo-worthy monument marks the spot, which is behind a downtown hair salon.
Star Trek collectibles, home-built exhibits, and occasional artifacts in the town where Captain James T. Kirk will be born in the 23rd century.
Marked by a plaque in a bar -- which also claims to be the future Shipyards Bar where Kirk brawled in the 2009 reboot movie.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
West Bend, Iowa
A priest promised the Virgin Mary he'd build a wondrous shrine if pneumonia didn't kill him. It didn't, and he did.
Albert is a 45-ton, 30-foot-tall concrete replica of the perfect Hereford bull. Push a button and he'll tell you his story.
All-boat, all underground tour. Relax, but don't ignore warnings to duck.
Clear Lake, Iowa
Corn field where the pioneer rocker with the geek glasses and hiccup-y voice met an early end, along with Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.
Clear Lake, Iowa
Preserved as 1959 site of the last performance of rockers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper, before their plane crashed nearby.
Hollywood's baseball tourist attraction in Iowa: the cornfield ballfield created for the Kevin Costner movie.
Pat Acton builds impressively-detailed, giant models of buildings, spaceships, whatever, out of hundreds of thousands of wooden matchsticks.
Ida Grove, Iowa
Byron LeRoy Godbersen, the most powerful man in Ida Grove, built castles all over town -- and had his employees build a half-scale replica of the H.M.S. Bounty as well.
Sioux City, Iowa
Towering metal Mary and Jesus, wooden Last Supper, and the Lord created from burlap bags. Sacred Art from household materials!
Strawberry Point, Iowa
This town has erected a big statue, atop a pole, of its namesake.
A still-unknown maniac axed the family in this house in 1912. Visitors can tour it, or sleep over if they're feeling fearless. Now heated!
Michelangelo's masterpiece rendered in spray paint covers the ceilings and walls of an Italian restaurant.
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Iowa attractions.
- Ames: World's Largest Concrete Gnome [tips]
- Audubon: Albert the Bull
- Avoca: Volkswagen Beetle Spider [tips]
- Brandon: Iowa's Largest Frying Pan [tips]
- Burlington: Snake Alley - A Very Crooked Street
- Clear Lake: Buddy Holly Crash Site
- Clear Lake: Surf Ballroom: Buddy Holly's Last Gig
- Columbus Junction: Lovers Leap Swinging Bridge [tips]
- Council Bluffs: Golden Spike Monument
- Council Bluffs: Squirrel Cage Jail [tips]
- Crystal Lake: Fish - World's Largest Bullhead [tips]
- Decorah: Ice Cave - Frozen in Summer [tips]
- Des Moines: Crazy Sculpture Park [tips]
- Dubuque: Fenelon Place Elevator [tips]
- Dyersville: Field of Dreams
- Eldon: American Gothic House [tips]
- Fort Dodge: Cardiff Giant at Frontier Village [tips]
- Gladbrook: Matchstick Marvels Museum
- Griswold: Cabbage Patch Fantasy Land
- Ida Grove: Castles of Ida Grove
- Kelley: Phone Booth - Welcome to Kelley [tips]
- LeClaire: Tug Fest - West Side of Mississippi River Tug-of-War [tips]
- Lynnville: L.J. Maasdam's Wheel Art [tips]
- Marquette: Pinky the Elephant
- Marshalltown: The Big Treehouse [tips]
- Mason City: Rancho Deluxe Z: Junk Art Lot [tips]
- McGregor: Spook Cave: Underground Boat Tour
- Menlo: Freedom Rock [tips]
- Pella: Museum of Traffic Control [tips]
- Pocahontas: Giant Statue of Pocahontas [tips]
- Riverside: Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk
- Riverside: Star Trek Voyage Home Museum
- Ryan: Happy Chef - Now an Umpire [tips]
- Sac City: World's Largest Popcorn Ball [tips]
- Sioux City: Trinity Heights: Giant Jesus and Mary
- Sioux City: Tire Man [tips]
- Sioux City: Tire Man [tips]
- Stanton: Coffee Pot and Cup Water Towers
- Strawberry Point: World's Largest Strawberry
- Tipton: A&W Root Beer Family [tips]
- Villisca: Villisca Ax Murder House and Museum
- Walcott: Museum at World's Largest Truck Stop [tips]
- Waterloo: Sistine Chapel in Spray Paint
- Waterloo: John Deere Tractor and Engine Museum
- Waukon: Muffler Man and Long Horn Steer [tips]
- West Bend: Grotto of the Redemption
- West Burlington: Enormous Human Spine [tips]
- Winterset: John Wayne Birthplace Museum