Find Illinois travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
D&D fan killed in an auto accident is remembered with a fantasy memorial park.
Monster bird of legend merits a tourism roost along the river.
Hometown of cartoonist immortalizes Popeye's ragtag entourage with statues around town.
The Super Museum, life's work of Jim Hambrick, is stuffed with over 20,000 items relating to the Superman saga, from his first appearance in comic books.
Route 66, a replica old-time gas station, a nod to Cadillac Ranch in Texas. Did we mention the live bunnies?
Spend your dragon coins wisely at this fire-breathing beast contraption.
Mr. Pollard can't seem to throw any of his good junk away.
Exhibits on the memorable attractions, businesses and the colorful characters of the Mother Road, including Bob Waldmire's Road Yacht.
198-ft. tall interstate-convenient no-nonsense soul-saver.
Olney loves their pink-eyed albino squirrel colony.
An imagineered immersion in the life of the 16th President.
History, via 20th century pop culture and you-are-almost-there artifacts. The way we like it!
No joke -- this double dumper was in service for years.
The Alamo's revenge, snatched from the Mexican general.
Exhibits and statue at the birthplace of the World's Tallest Man, Robert Wadlow.
Water tower painted to resemble a bottle of Brooks Tangy Catsup.
Benton - "It was one of the top ten days of my life," said Bob Rea, president of the Franklin County Historical Preservation Society in Benton, Illinois. He was referring to May 4, 2013, the day that he first laid eyes on the gallows that hanged Charlie Birger. Full story
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of Illinois attractions.
- Alton: The Piasa Bird
- Alton: Robert Wadlow: World's Largest Man
- Ana: King Neptune the Pig grave
- Arcola: One and Only Hippie Memorial
- Atlanta: Smiley Face Water Tower
- Bourbonnais: Children's Memorial
- Calumet City: Smiley Face Water Towers
- Carbondale: Dungeons & Dragons Park
- Carbondale: King Tut the Dog
- Chatsworth: Train Wreck Marker
- Chester: Popeye statue
- Chicago: Brickhouse Announcer Monument
- Chicago: Museum of Surgical Sciences [tips]
- Collinsville: World's Largest Catsup Bottle
- Covell: Lindbergh Crash Site
- Des Plaines: McDonald's Museum
- Effingham: World's Largest Cross
- Elwood: Ammo Plant Dead Statue
- Forest Park: Circus Performers Mass Grave
- Gays: 2-Story Outhouse
- Griggsville: Purple Martin Capital of the Nation
- Harvard: Harmilda the Cow
- Libertyville: Lamb's Farm
- Lincoln: Watermelon Monument
- Makanda: Boomer
- Metropolis: Big John [tips]
- Metropolis: Superman's Hometown | Super Museum
- Mount Carroll: Haunted Raven's Grin Inn [tip]
- Niles: The Leaning Tower
- Norway: Agricultural Crash Monument
- Oak Lawn: Indian [tips]
- Olney: White Squirrel Capital of the World
- Oquawka: Norma Jean the Elephant
- Palatine: Miniature Golf in a Funeral Home
- Plainfield: Tornado Memorial
- Peoria: Uniroyal Gal
- Peoria: Wheels of Time Museum [tips]
- Peoria: Giant Solar System Model
- Pontiac: Illinois Route 66 Hall of Fame and Museum
- Rock Island: Rex, faithful dog [tips]
- Roscoe: Historic Auto Attractions
- Salem: Pollard's Collection
- Schaumburg: Medieval Times
- Shelbyville: Freedom Square
- Springfield: Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
- Springfield: Captured Leg of Santa Anna
- Springfield: Defiant Tomb of Mr. Accordion
- Springfield: Lincoln's Lucky Nose, [Statue Rubbing]
- Springfield: Skinny Young Lincoln statue
- Streator: Coffee Pot Lady Statue
- Taylorville: Kay the Elephant
- Vandalia: Kaskaskia Dragon
- Volo: Volo Auto Museum [tips]
- Wadsworth: Gold Pyramid House
- Watseka: Smiley Face Water Tower [tips]
- Wedron: Lindbergh Crash Site
- Wilmington: Gemini Giant [tips]
- Woodstock: Groundhog Day Movie Town [tips]