Find Minnesota travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Akeley's towering Bunyan has dropped to one knee to let visitors perch in his mighty palm.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
The late Francis Johnson's famous giant ball, now the centerpiece of the town. It's the "Largest Ball of Twine Rolled by One Man."
Hormel's tribute to its most iconic product. History of Spam, collection of spiced pork artifacts. Spam making, Spam art, Spam souvenirs, Spam, Spam....
The World's Largest Crow sits atop what is probably The World's Largest Branch. Push a button inside his gazebo, and the crow cries, "AAWWRRR! AWWWWR! Welcome to Crow Country!"
Stand inside the giant toothy jaws of a 65-foot-long muskie fish for a memorable snapshot. Briefly seen in "National Lampoon's Vacation."
Blue Earth, Minnesota
Over 55 feet tall, the Giant marks the mid-point of I-90 (America's longest highway) and "the valley" that his multi-national corporation calls home.
A 36-foot-tall brass and copper statue of an 1880s iron miner, standing on top of a 50-foot-tall pile of rusted steel and slag. Big!
A 14-foot-long leaping fiberglass fish -- with a saddle on its back and a ladder to get to it. A fun photo-op.
St. Urho is honored by a bizarre statue recreating his mythical battle with giant grasshoppers.
Silver Bay, Minnesota
Rocky is one of our favorite metalloid mascots, a cheery byproduct of the taconite mining industry.
Edwin Julius Krueger used to run the general store in this tiny town, and he never threw away anything. Including his dead cat.
The museum exhibits a mighty slab of cryptically carved rock. Is it a history-shaking bit of debris left by ancient Nordic litterbugs -- or a prank by a bored Minnesota farmer?
A 28-foot-tall Viking warrior towers over this town of proud Nordic transplants.
These blocky statues, built in the late 1930s, are the oldest roadside Bunyan and Babe.
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Killer wolf Old Three Legs is displayed along with the gun that killed him. There's a replica world's smallest gas station, and the world's largest ball of store string!
The transplanted home of the deceased, root beer brewin' belle of the Boundary Waters Wilderness.
Weighs over five tons and is 110 feet long. Displayed as if it's about to slap the world's largest hockey puck, which weighs 700 pounds.
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
A large, ground-hugging otter statue is a strange source of civic pride in Fergus Falls.
Devoted to the Greyhound Bus Line, in the city of its birth. Sit in an old, real bus and pretend you're being driven to Duluth or St. Paul. Good times.
Pelican Rapids, Minnesota
Pelican Pete watches over a dam spillway and prime fish-gobbling spot.
This is the strangest giant bird statue that you'll see in your lifetime. Though maybe not.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of Minnesota
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Minnesota attractions.
- Akeley: World's Largest Paul Bunyan
- Alexandria: Runestone Museum
- Alexandria: Big Ole - Big Viking Statue
- Arco: H.P. Pederson Rock Garden [tips]
- Austin: SPAM Museum
- Backus: Colonel Cobber, Giant Corn Man
- Barnum: Big Louis: 25-Foot-Tall Voyageur [tips]
- Battle Lake: Chief Wenonga Statue [tips]
- Belgrade: World's Largest Crow
- Bemidji: Boxy Bunyan and Babe Statues
- Bemidji: Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe [tips]
- Bena: Big Fish Supper Club
- Bigfork: See Birch Bark Canoes Made [tips]
- Blackduck: World's Largest Black Duck Statue
- Blue Earth: Jolly Green Giant
- Brainerd: Giant Sitting, Talking Paul Bunyan
- Chandler: Collapsed "In God We Trust" Water Tank Tornado Memorial [tips]
- Chanhassen: Giant Purple Face of Prince [tips]
- Chisholm: Huge Iron Man Statue
- Crane Lake: Big Voyageur Statue [tips]
- Crosby: Serpent Lake Serpent Statue [tips]
- Darwin: World's Largest Twine Ball
- Detroit Lakes: Becker County Museum Oddities
- Ely: Cabin of the Root Beer Lady
- Eveleth: World's Largest Free-Standing Hockey Stick
- Faribault: Tin Man Family [tips]
- Fergus Falls: Otto the Big Otter
- Fergus Falls: Continental Divide Marker [tips]
- Fountain: Two-Headed Calf, Padlock of Viking Leif Ericson
- Franconia: Franconia Sculpture Park [tips]
- Frazee: World's Largest Turkey
- Garrison: Giant Walleye in Walleye Capital of the World
- Good Thunder: Lillo's Metal Art: Eiffel Tower, Firing Rifle, Jesse James [tips]
- Grand Marais: Giant Fish Crashing Through Building [tips]
- Hackensack: Paul Bunyan's Girlfriend Lucette [tips]
- Hampton: Vikings, Beach Dude, Gorilla, [tips]
- Harmony: Niagara Cave
- Hibbing: Greyhound Bus Museum
- Hibbing: Pose Inside a Giant Bucket [tips]
- Hinckley: Great Hinckley Fire Museum and Mass Grave
- International Falls: Big Smokey Bear
- International Falls: Big Statue of Bronko Nagurski [tips]
- Isle: Mean Muskie and Walleye [tips]
- Kabetogama: Leapin' Walleye Fish Photo Op
- Kasota: Drive A Tank [tips]
- Kensington: Replica of Runestone at Discovery Spot
- Lakeville: Hot Sam's: Big Weird Junk [tips]
- Long Prairie: Iwo Jima in Steel and Other Tributes [tips]
- Mankato: Last Happy Chef [tips]
- Menahga: Saint Urho, Grasshopper Chaser
- Milan: Liberty Bell, Viking, and Mural [tips]
- Millerville: Our Lady of the Hills - Big Virgin Mary [tips]
- Minnetrista: Sculpture Park Mini Golf [tips]
- Mora: Dala Horse
- Nevis: World's Largest Tiger Muskie
- New Ulm: Hermann the German
- Nodine: Culvert Man [tips]
- North Mankato: 10-Foot-Tall Steel Godzilla [tips]
- North St. Paul: World's Largest Stucco Snowman [tips]
- Owatonna: Warrior King Jesus on a White Stallion [tips]
- Park Rapids: Mississippi River Starts Here [tips]
- Pelican Rapids: World's Largest Pelican
- Princeton: A-Z Happy Chef [tips]
- Rainier: Voyageur Statue [tips]
- Rothsay: World's Largest "Booming" Prairie Chicken
- Royalton: Treasure City - Souvenir Store [tips]
- Shakopee: Sever's Corn Maze
- Silver Bay: Rocky Taconite
- Soudan: Deepest Place You Can Go In America
- Spring Grove: Troll, Viking, and Bear [tips]
- St. Paul: Wabasha Street Caves Tour
- Two Harbors: Pierre the Pantsless Voyageur
- Vergas: World's Largest Loon
- Vining: Nyberg Sculpture Park
- Warren: Police Car Attacked by UFO [tips]
- Willmar: Golden Chief Kandiyohi Statue [tips]
- Wykoff: Ed's Museum