Find North Carolina travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Cherokee, North Carolina
Smoky Mountains tourist town with plenty of stuck-in-time charm.
Murphy, North Carolina
300-ft. wide, built by the Church of God of Prophecy at Fields of the Wood in 1945.
Maggie Valley, North Carolina
Puttering parade of motorcycle history as seen through the unusual collection of Dale Walksler.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
A bright yellow seashell once serviced North Carolina's gas guzzlers.
High Point, North Carolina
This furniture capital landmark isn't actually the largest bureau in town....
Belhaven, North Carolina
Filled with junk, freaks in jars, and fleas in formal dress.
Maggie Valley - Our favorite exhibit at Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, is the Traub, a one-of-a-kind motorcycle that may have dropped in from another dimension. Full story
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of North Carolina attractions.
- Bailey: Country Doctor Museum [tips]
- Beech Mountain: Land of Oz [tips]
- Belhaven: Belhaven Memorial Museum
- Bunnlevel: Hattadare Indian Village
- Blowing Rock: Mystery Hill [tips]
- Brevard: White Squirrel Town and Festival
- Buxton: UFO house [tips]
- Charlotte: Siamese twin Hilton sisters grave [tips]
- Cherokee: Tourists and Indians
- Cherokee: Mac's Indian Village [tips]
- Cherokee: Santa's Land [tips]
- Croatan: Self-Kicking Machine [tips]
- Durham: Tobacco Museum [tips]
- Fountain: Lester Gay's Whirligigs [tips]
- Franklin: Scottish Tartan Museum [tips]
- Garysburg: Occoneechee Trapper's Lodge [tips]
- Hendersonville: Minibike-riding Heaviest Twin grave [tips]
- High Point: World's Largest Chest of Drawers, Bureaus of Tourism
- Kenley: Tastee Freez Twins
- Kure Beach: Fort Fisher Hermit
- Lucama: Vollis Simpson's Whirligig Farm [tips]
- Maggie Valley: Wheels Through Time
- Manson: Soul City [tips]
- Mt. Airy: Andy Griffith Museum [tips]
- Murphy: World's Largest 10 Commandments, Fields of the Wood
- Murfreesboro: Jefcoat Museum of Americana [tips]
- New Bern: Firehorse Fred
- New Bern: Self Kicking Machine [tips]
- Prospect Hill: Shangri-La Miniature Village
- Raleigh: Transparent woman, walk-thru brain [tips]
- Roanoke Rapids: Daniel Boone w/Fez [tips]
- Rocky Mount: Bikini-clad Uniroyal Gal [tips]
- Rose Hill: "World's Largest" Frying Pan [tips]
- Southern Pines: Creationist taxidermy museum [tips]
- Thomasville: World's Largest Duncan Phyfe Chair
- White Plains: Chang and Eng's Grave
- Wilmington: Boss, a Noble Dog
- Wilson: Replica of World's Largest Lighthouse [tips]
- Winston-Salem: Shell-Shaped Gas Station [tips]
- Winston-Salem, Old Salem: Oldest Coffee Pot