Find South Dakota travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Garretson, South Dakota
Legendary leap for a legendary law breaker.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Two identical shacks distorted by the forces of gravity and crowd flow.
Montrose, South Dakota
Features a 60-foot-tall, 25-ton sculpture of a bull's head -- and its creator may be lurking inside.
Buffalo Ridge, South Dakota
Animated characters creak to life to tell their stories of the Wild West.
Crazy Horse, South Dakota
Bigger than Mount Rushmore. And more than a head.
Lemmon, South Dakota
Forest of frozen fossils -- hundreds of spires, buildings and piles made from petrified wood in the 1930s.
Vermillion, South Dakota
A town's entire supply of ammunition was spent bringing down this misunderstood giant.
Shadehill, South Dakota
Frontiersman Hugh Glass was nearly killed by a grizzly bear here in 1823. Glass revived and crawled, with a broken leg, infection and fever, 200 miles to safety.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Free park of concrete dinosaurs stand on a hill above Rapid City.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of South Dakota
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of South Dakota attractions.
- Aberdeen: Story Book Land [tips]
- Belle Fourche: Shepherd's Monument [tips]
- Buffalo Ridge: 1880 Cowboy Town
- Cactus Flats - Interior: Giant Prairie Dog [tips]
- Chamberlain: Al's Oasis [tips]
- Crazy Horse: Chief Crazy Horse Memorial
- Custer: Flintstone's Bedrock City [tips]
- Deadwood: #10 Saloon, and Bill Hickok sights
- Garretson: Devil's Gulch - Jesse James Jumped Here
- Hill City: Everything Prehistoric [tips]
- Huron: World's Largest Pheasant [tips]
- Keystone: National Presidential Wax Museum
- Lemmon - Shadehill: Hugh Glass Monument
- Lemmon: Petrified Wood Park
- Mitchell: Corn Palace
- Mobridge: Battle for Sitting Bull's Grave
- Montrose: Porter Sculpture Park
- Murdo: Pioneer Auto Museum
- Murdo: Skeleton walking Dinosaur [tips]
- Rapid City: Cosmos Mystery Area
- Rapid City: Dinosaur Park
- Rapid City: Reptile Gardens
- Redfield: Pheasant Capital of the World [tips]
- Roslyn: International Vinegar Museum [tips]
- Sioux Falls: Concrete Outline of the USS South Dakota
- Sioux Falls: Replica David and Moses [tips]
- Vermillion: National Music Museum [tips]
- Vermillion: Skull and Bones of Circus Elephant "Hero" [tips]
- Wall: Wall Drug [tips]
- Webster: Shoe House, World's Largest Hairball [tips]