Find Texas travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Lanky, slouching cowboy giant, standing since 1959.
San Antonio, Texas
Well into his 90s, retired plumber-turned-artist continues to fill his garage museum.
Competitive Eating Heritage Trail: swallow a 72-oz. steak in an hour and it's free!
Caskets, hearses, and other funeral industry regalia, including JFK's original Eternal Flame and a waxy Pope and Lincoln lying in their coffins.
A boulder that nearly caused carnage on a California freeway was transformed into a long-lasting indoor tribute to The Duke.
Huge cement-lined hole in the ground, built when there was so much oil in West Texas that the oil companies didn't know where to put it.
Heaven-scraping billboard of faith in the Texas panhandle.
Large collection of historic windmills and a modern wind turbine.
El Paso, Texas
US Border Patrol history -- protecting the nation's edges with its expertise and the latest technology.
Largest Creation Fossil Museum in the world. Run by Joe Taylor, who has devoted considerable effort to proving that Man and Dinosaur walked together.
Popular Route 66 car artwork is also a spray paint free-for-all.
Everything you ever wanted to know about barbed wire.
A century after a preacher-inventor built an airship described in the Bible, this museum exhibits a replica near where it flew -- before the Wright Brothers!
San Antonio, Texas
Thousands of dead animals and dead animal parts for your enjoyment. Don't miss the 4,000-antler chandelier and the chair made for Teddy Roosevelt out of 62 pair of buffalo horns.
Dallas - H. Ross Perot, the Texas billionaire businessman, was known during his two failed bids as a presidential candidate for dancing with his wife to the song Crazy by Patsy Cline. It was his way of acknowledging that people considered him a little nuts. Full story
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of Texas attractions.
- Acton: Smallest State Park in Texas
- Amarillo: Big Texan Steak Ranch
- Amarillo: Cadillac Ranch , Huge legs [tips]
- Amarillo: Helium Time Column Monument [tips]
- Arlington: Witness Tree Memorial Stump
- Aurora: Space Alien Pilot Buried Here
- Austin: Bat Bridge
- Beaumont: Gusher Monument and Oil Boomtown
- Beaumont: World's (3rd) Largest Fire Hydrant
- Benbrook: Vernon Castle Crash Site
- Boerne: Cascade Caverns
- Canadian: Gene Cockrell's Roadside Sculptures
- Canyon: Tex Randall
- Clyde: Atlas ICBM Highway
- College Station: George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
- College Station: Reveille, Dead Mascots
- Conlen: Scary Cowboy Giant
- Conway: VW Slug Bug Ranch [tips]
- Corsicana: Two Heads of Black Diamond
- Crosbyton: Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
- Crystal City: Popeye Statue
- Dallas: Dealey Plaza
- Dallas: Giant Giraffe Statue [tips]
- Dallas: Kennedy Cenotaph
- Dallas: The Sixth Floor
- Decatur: Petrified Wood Gas Station, Cafe, Motel
- Dilley: Watermelon Capital of Texas
- Dublin: Dr Pepper Museum
- Eastland: Old Rip
- El Paso: National Border Patrol Museum
- El Paso: Sierra de Christo Rey [tips]
- Fort Stockton: Paisano Pete [tips]
- Fort Worth: 2nd Oldest Continuously Burning Light Bulb
- Fredericksburg: Bush Gallery of the Pacific War [tips]
- Freer: World's Largest Rattlesnake [tips]
- Gainesville: Glenn Goode's Big People
- Georgetown: Inner Space Caverns [tips]
- Glen Rose: Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Glen Rose: Creation Evidence Museum
- Granbury: Outlaw Relocation Program
- Grand Prairie: Chromosaurs [tips]
- Grand Saline: Salt Palace
- Greenville: Audie Murphy, America's Most Decorated Soldier
- Groom: Groom Cross
- Hidalgo: World's Largest Killer Bee
- Houston: Art Car Museum
- Houston: Beer Can House
- Houston: National Museum of Funeral History
- Houston: The Orange Show
- Hunt: Stonehenge II
- Huntsville: Texas Prison Museum
- Huntsville: Giant Sam Houston statue
- Iraan: Ally Oop Land [tips]
- Lubbock: 13 Ton Boulder Carved into John Wayne's Head
- Lubbock: American Wind Power Center and Museum
- Luling: Watermelon Thump and Water Tower
- Marfa: Marfa Ghost Lights [tips]
- McLean: Devil's Rope Museum
- Monahans: Million Barrel Museum
- Muleshoe: World's Largest Muleshoe
- Odessa: World's Largest Jackrabbit
- O'Donnell: Dan Blocker Monument
- Paris: Eiffel Tower Replica
- Pittsburg: Ezekiel Airship
- Pittsburg: Giant Bo Pilgrim Head
- Poteet: World's Largest Strawberry
- San Antonio: Gravity Hill [tips]
- San Antonio: Buckhorn Saloon & Museum
- San Antonio: Toilet Seat Museum
- San Antonio: World's Largest Boots
- Seguin: World's Second Largest Pecan
- Shamrock: Blarney Stone
- Snyder: White Buffalo
- Stephenville: Moola the Cow
- Tyler: Shorty the Squirrel
- Waco: Branch Davidian Compound Site
- Waco: Dr Pepper Museum
- Warrenton: World's Smallest Catholic Church
- Waxahachie: Unrequited Love Carvings
- Weatherford: Peter Pan Statue [tips]