Find Virginia travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Natural Bridge, Virginia
It's Yankees vs. dinosaurs in Mark "Foamhenge" Cline's alternate universe history view of the Civil War. The South wins!
Sights for Oddball Excursions
The world's foremost private museum of armored fighting vehicles, in a formerly vacant tool factory.
White Post, Virginia
Classic dinosaur park featuring over two dozen colorfully-painted, old-style brutes -- including a prehistoric crawl-in shark and a photo-op King Kong.
Lots of odd stuff, from a replica Ark of the Covenant to George Washington's Clock of Death.
The most famous body part of America's bloodiest war merits its own grave in a tiny cemetery.
Shenandoah Caverns, Virginia
After their Day of Glory, the luckiest parade floats are sheltered and exhibited at this museum.
Is it possible to eat a piece of meat from 1902? If you like ham, the answer is yes!
Displays include pimp shoes worn by an undercover agent, a diamond-encrusted drug kingpin pistol, and a simulated head shop.
Private memorial to the Allied landings in Normandy on June 6, 1944. Statues, symbolism, but not much shade.
"Seal" was the University of Virginia's beloved dog mascot, and was buried with honors (and a headstone) in the campus cemetery.
Grave of a celebrated magical mascot dog of the University of Virginia's football team.
Self-described "crown jewel of firearms museums in the world" is loaded for bear, criminals, and storm troopers.
Mount Vernon, Virginia
Historic home, museum, and grave of the Father of Our Country. See his false teeth and his bed of death. Seesaw battle with Graceland as the most visited private home in the USA.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of Virginia
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Virginia attractions.
- Alexandria: George Washington Masonic National Memorial
- Arlington: Drug Enforcement Administration Museum
- Bedford: National D-Day Memorial
- Bedford: Homer the Muffler Man [tips]
- Buckingham: Light of Truth Universal Shrine - LOTUS [tips]
- Buena Vista: Robot Cyborg Muffler Man [tips]
- Chantilly: Space Shuttle Discovery [tips]
- Charlottesville: The Great Seal of Virginia
- Charlottesville: Beta, Magical Mongrel
- Chincoteague: Misty of Chincoteague - Chick Lit Hero Horse
- Coeburn: Muffler Man - Paul Bunyan [tips]
- Danville: The Tank Museum
- Fairfax: National Firearms Museum
- Fieldale: Antique Shell Station [tips]
- Fredericksburg: Arm of Stonewall Jackson
- Fredericksburg: Mysterious Confederate Pyramid [tips]
- Grottoes: Grand Caverns [tips]
- Hampton: Air Power Park [tips]
- Harrisonburg: Mummy's Hand, Two-Headed Calf [tips]
- Harrisonburg: Duke Dog: Big Bulldog with Crown [tips]
- Lawrenceville: Head of Ol' Red the Mule [tips]
- Leesburg: Mighty Midget Kitchen [tips]
- Lexington: Stonewall Jackson's Stuffed Horse
- Lexington: Building Shaped Like a Coffee Pot
- Lexington: Big Full-Color Statue of Stonewall Jackson [tips]
- Lorton: Lorton Workhouse Museum - Suffragettes Behind Bars [tips]
- Luray: Luray Caverns [tips]
- Lynchburg: Enema Collection [tips]
- Martinsville: 20-Foot-Tall Mission Chair (Missing) [tips]
- Mount Vernon: George Washington's Home, Grave, and False Teeth
- Natural Bridge: Dinosaur Kingdom II
- Newport News: Virginia War Museum - Atomic Cannon
- Newport News: Auto Muffler King [tips]
- Pennington Gap: Stone Face Rock with Nonoffensive Name [tips]
- Petersburg: Pamplin Historical Park - Virtual Civil War Battle [tips]
- Quantico: U.S. Marine Corps Museum [tips]
- Quicksburg: Shenandoah Caverns
- Richmond: Giant Lurking Indian [tips]
- Richmond: Confederate Memorial Chapel [tips]
- Roanoke: Mini-Graceland, Elvis City
- Roanoke: Mill Mountain Star
- Roanoke: Muffler Man - Bunyan
- Roanoke: Trojan Dog [tips]
- Shenandoah Caverns: American Celebration On Parade
- Smithfield: World's Oldest Edible Ham
- Virginia Beach: Giant Beach Dude Gorilla [tips]
- Virginia Beach: Mount Trashmore Park [tips]
- Virginia Beach: Giant Statue of Neptune [tips]
- Virginia Beach: Witch of Pungo Statue [tips]
- White Post: Dinosaur Land
- Winchester: World's Largest Apple