Find Virginia travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Private memorial to the Allied landings in Normandy on June 6, 1944. Statues, symbolism, but not much shade.
After their Day of Glory, the luckiest parade floats are sheltered and exhibited at this museum.
Gaze upong James Dean's underpants and Joan Crawford's coat hanger.
Displays include pimp shoes worn by an undercover agent, a diamond-encrusted drug kingpin pistol, and a simulated head shop.
Lots of odd stuff, from a replica Ark of the Covenant to George Washington's Clock of Death.
Self-described "crown jewel of firearms museums in the world" is loaded for bear, criminals, and storm troopers.
At this almost anything-goes commercial cave, a scary pixie beckons the unwary.
Natural Bridge, Virginia
Mark Cline, fiberglass sculptor, built the world's most accurate Stonehenge replica. Out of styrofoam.
General Stonewall Jackson -- Robert E. Lee's "right arm" -- lost his left arm to friendly fire. It's buried and memorialized here.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of Virginia
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of Virginia attractions.
- Abingdon: Star Museum
- Alexandria: George Washington Masonic National Memorial
- Arlington: Drug Enforcement Administration Museum
- Bedford: National D-Day Memorial
- Charlottesville: Nearly Nude Dropout Hero Monument
- Charlottesville: Graves of Beta and Seal, dog mascots
- Chincoteague: Stuffed Misty and Stormy [tips]
- Fairfax: NRA National Firearms Museum [tips]
- Fort Lee: Women's Army Museum [tips]
- Fredericksburg: Grave of Stonewall Jackson's Arm, Chancellorsville Battlefield
- Lexington: Coffee Pot-Shaped Building
- Lexington: Stonewall Jackson, the rest of him, Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery
- Lexington: Stonewall Jackson's Horse, Virginia Military Institute
- Luray: Luray Caverns [tips]
- Mount Vernon: George Washington's False Teeth
- Natural Bridge: Enchanted Castle Studio
- Natural Bridge: Foamhenge
- New Market: Johnny Appleseed
- Richmond: Giant Milk bottles [tips]
- Richmond: J.E.B. Stuart Mortal Wound jacket., Virginia Historical Society Museum
- Roanoke: Elvis City, Mini- Graceland
- Roanoke: Mill Mountain Star
- Rockingham County: Turkey #1 and Turkey #2
- Schuyler: John Boy Walton's Home [tips]
- Shenandoah: American Celebration on Parade
- Shenandoah: Shenandoah Caverns [tips]
- Smithfield: World's Largest Cured Ham [tips]
- Virginia Beach: Mount Trashmore [tips]
- Virginia Beach: Spooky Edgar Cayce Institute [tips]
- Waverly: Oldest Peanut Museum in the US [tips]
- White Post: Dinosaur Land [tips]
- Winchester: World's Largest Apple