Find Wisconsin travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
A crazier-than-most fantasy room motel. Take a bath in a cheese vat, or soak in a hot tub on the moon. Underground tunnel leads to nearby restaurant in a barn. Giant airplane is parked on the front lawn.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
There is much to see here, but what you'll remember most vividly is the world's largest fish, a 45-foot tall fiberglass muskie with an observation deck in its toothy maw.
Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin
The King of All Dump People rolls a big one.
Folk art army sculpted from discarded beer bottles and concrete.
Spring Green, Wisconsin
This amazing place has little to do with a house or a rock, but a lot to do with music machines, a giant cannon, a sea monster, and excesses of everything.
Tom Every, aka "Dr. Evermor," constructed a science fiction landscape from old carburetors and discarded power house machines.
Fountain City, Wisconsin
The hazards of living downhill from boulders couldn't be presented more clearly.
Where everybody knows your name -- especially if you caught and stuffed the world record fish hanging on the wall. Goofy stuffed woodland creature dioramas as well.
Amateur paleontologist Clyde Wynia has filled his property with extinct metal creatures from Marshfield's Iron Age. An impressively dense collection of modern-day folk art -- and Clyde's wife Nancy makes art, too.
Statues of Lincoln, Washington, and Jesus stand together at the Mediatrix of Peace Shrine. Mary, Mother of God, visited in 1950, and reportedly still occasionally stops by.
A lumber town makes hay with a beloved local monster.
Father Philip Wagner and his helper Edmund Rybicki spent 20 years piling rocks and building their version of a commercial cave inside it, filled with Catholic religious shrines.
Where big fiberglass statues come from, and where you can always wander the Mold Field and see the latest creations.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
The Dells are a wonder of nature -- but most folks come here for the over-the-top attractions.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
An upside-down White House is only the start of the mysterious conspiracy.
Mom and Pop collection of concrete and glass sculptures, including an American flag, a 12-foot ocean liner, and the late Wegners' 50th anniversary wedding cake.
For 25 years retired farmer Herman Rusch built odd sculptures around his similarly odd museum in an old dance pavilion. It's folk art -- and it's been preserved.
A pugnacious pachyderm with five human kills to his credit, but the town still loves him.
Rocks and found junk were fashioned into an elaborate religious grotto by a priest on a Mission from God. Washington, Lincoln, and Christopher Columbus make cameo appearances.
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
The history of dairy farming revealed, including a display about vital parachute drops of bull semen.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Brewery with a monstrous sixer and a statue of the King of Beer.
A monument in the sidewalk and a circle in the street mark the spot where a Soviet satellite smacked down. A replica of the space junk is displayed a few steps away. Festival held on the anniversary.
Known as "Claire d'Loon," the World's Largest Talking Loon finally got her voice back in May 2015.
1970s TV icon "The Fonz" and his fictional connection to Milwaukee are celebrated with Milwaukee's most popular statue.
America's most horrible forest fire was bad enough, but it happened on the same night as another fire that grabbed all the headlines.
Folk artist Fred Smith's bizarre interpretation of an Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln sculpture in Racine, Wisconsin. Fred probably saw it on a post card.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of Wisconsin
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Wisconsin attractions.
- Alma: Castlerock Arms and Armor Museum
- Baraboo: Circus World Museum
- Beloit: Cow, Mouse With Cheese And Sausage [tips]
- Birnamwood: World's Largest Badger
- Black Earth: Tin Man Mailbox and Other Creatures [tips]
- Bonduel: Doc's Harley-Davidson - Museum, Alligators, and a Pirate Ship [tips]
- Buffalo City: Viking Statue with No Feet [tips]
- Cataract: The Wegner Grotto
- Cochrane: Prairie Moon
- Cornell: World's Only Pulpwood Stacker [tips]
- Cudahy: Crazy Yard, Sinking Cadillac [tips]
- DeForest: Pinkie the Pink Elephant [tips]
- Delavan: Statue of Romeo, The Killer Elephant
- Dickeyville: Dickeyville Grotto
- Dodgeville: Don Q Inn
- Elk Creek: Roasted Chicken on Plate [tips]
- Elkhorn: Watson's Wild West Museum - 2,000 Branding Irons [tips]
- Fontana-on-Geneva Lake: Frog of Fontana [tips]
- Fort Atkinson: National Dairy Shrine Visitor's Center
- Fountain City: The Rock in the House
- Fountain City: Elmer's Auto and Toy Museum [tips]
- Fox Point: Mary Nohl's Concrete Art [tips]
- Glidden: 665-lb World Record Stuffed Bear [tips]
- Green Bay: 50-Foot-Tall Super Bowl Trophy [tips]
- Greenfield: Organ Piper Pizza [tips]
- Hayward: National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame
- Hayward: Moccasin Bar
- Hayward: Controversial World's Largest Real Muskie
- Hollandale: Nick Engelbert's Grandview Folk Art Environment [tips]
- Janesville: Bessie the Cow [tips]
- Jim Falls: Old Abe the Eagle [tips]
- Kenosha: Butchering a Mammoth [tips]
- La Crosse: World's Largest Six Pack
- La Crosse: Big Statue of Hiawatha [tips]
- Lac du Flambeau: World's Largest Speared Sturgeon [tips]
- Lake Geneva: Andy Gump Statue
- Lake Nebagamon: JFK's World's Largest Ball of Twine
- Madison: Ella's Animatronic Deli [tips]
- Madison: Giant Metal Birds - Dreamkeepers [tips]
- Madison: Oscar Mayer Wienermobile [tips]
- Manitowoc: Sputnik Crashed Here
- Manitowoc: Chief Wawatam Engine and Submarine [tips]
- Marshfield: Jurustic Park
- Marshfield: Dragon of Liberty [tips]
- Medford: Forest of Chainsaw Totem Poles [tips]
- Mercer: World's Largest Talking Loon
- Milwaukee: Harley-Davidson Museum [tips]
- Milwaukee: Bronze Fonz
- Milwaukee: Miller Brewery Tour - Free Beer [tips]
- Milwaukee: Three Stooges Fermenting Tanks [tips]
- Milwaukee: 22-Foot-Long Graf Zeppelin II [tips]
- Monico: World's Largest Rolling Mechanical Planetarium [tips]
- Necedah: Virgin Mary Appeared Here
- Neillsville: Chatty Belle, Talking Cow
- Neptune: Elephant Trunk Rock [tips]
- New Franken: Virgin Mary was Here, Confirmed by Bishop [tips]
- Onalaska: Sunfish Capital of the World - Sunny the Sunfish [tips]
- Oshkosh: Muffler Man [tips]
- Park Falls: Corrugated Tube Man [tips]
- Peshtigo: Great Peshtigo Fire Museum and Mass Grave
- Phillips: Fred Smith's Concrete Park
- Phillips: Fred Smith's Lincoln-Todd Monument
- Plainfield: Murderous Ghoul Ed Gein's Grave [tips]
- Platteville: Lead Mine Museum, Rollo Jamison Museum [tips]
- Pleasant Prairie: Jelly Belly Train Tour [tips]
- Poland: UFO Landing Port
- Poniatowski: Exact Center of the Northern Half of the Western Hemisphere
- Portage: Strange Giant Farmer [tips]
- Potosi: World's Largest Cone-Top Beer Can [tips]
- Potosi: National Brewery Museum
- Rhinelander: Home of the Hodag
- Rhinelander: Trademarked Hodag Statue
- Rudolph: Rudolph Grotto and Wonder Cave
- Seymour: Home of the Hamburger
- Shell Lake: Museum of Woodcarving
- Shell Lake: Walleye Statue with Two Tails [tips]
- Shullsburg: Gravity Hill [tips]
- Siren: Tornado Boat Wrapped Around Pole [tips]
- Sparta: F.A.S.T.: Fiberglass Statue Mold Yard
- Sparta: Deke Slayton Memorial Space and Bicycle Museum
- Sparta: Giant Spartan [tips]
- Spooner: Muffler Man [tips]
- Spooner: Taxidermy, 2-Headed Calf, JFK Urinal [tips]
- Spring Green: House on the Rock
- Spring Valley: Crystal Cave [tips]
- St. Germain: Wacky Northwoods Fisherman Giant [tips]
- Sturgeon Bay: Cookie the Cow [tips]
- Sturgeon Bay: Mr. Mulch the Gnome Giant [tips]
- Sumpter: Forevertron
- Wabeno: Larry the Logroller [tips]
- Wild Rose: 23-Foot-Tall Transformer Robot [tips]
- Wisconsin Dells: Wisconsin Dells
- Wisconsin Dells: Top Secret - Upside-Down White House
- Wisconsin Dells: Tommy Bartlett's Thrill Show [tips]
- Wisconsin Dells: MIR Space Station
- Wisconsin Dells: Muffler Man - Cowboy [tips]
- Wisconsin Dells: Fiberglass Graveyard Riding Stable [tips]
- Wisconsin Dells: Museum of Historic Torture Devices
- Wisconsin Dells: Wizard Quest
- Wisconsin Dells: Ghost Outpost
- Wisconsin Dells: Giant Sinclair Dinosaur [tips]
- Woodruff: World's Largest Penny