Find West Virginia travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
Top Rated Attractions
New Vrindaban, West Virginia
Glittery temples and deities created by a Hare Krishna community, but tourists are welcome.
Philippi, West Virginia
The bathroom in the Barbour County Historical Museum holds a treat -- two mummies preserved by a local Dr. Frankenstein.
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
Creature with glowing red eyes terrorized a town. They countered with a statue, museum, and a yearly festival.
Ansted, West Virginia
"See the unbelievable." "Not responsible for accidents or after effects." "Shoes recommended."
Beckley, West Virginia
The city owns it and provides a mine car tour of an actual coal seam, led by a veteran miner.
Moundsville, West Virginia
Learn what it's like to live behind bars -- for an hour or so.
Unger, West Virginia
George and Pam Farnham collect many things, including towering fiberglass roadside statues that fill their yard.
White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
Tour a once-secret Cold War refuge where our elected representatives would've enjoyed their post-apocalyptic days.
Chester, West Virginia
A barrel-shaped building with an attached handle and spout that promotes the local teapot industry. Repainted and restored August 2015.
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Vintage wax displays, some animated, take you through the life and death of America's bloodiest 19th century abolitionist.
Lewisburg, West Virginia
Home of "Bat Boy," cave where a guy once sat on a stalagmite for 16 days.
Parkersburg, West Virginia
A fiberglass Muffler Man statue, of the Indian brave type, waves in greeting.
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
A collection of old farm buildings and exhibits includes a two-headed calf and General, the world's largest stuffed horse.
Sarah Ann, West Virginia
The rivals of the McCoys rest atop a steep hill in Sarah Ann, some in surprising splendor.
Talcott, West Virginia
The steel drivin' man endures the ravages of time (and people) in the West Virginia hills.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of West Virginia
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of West Virginia attractions.
- Ansted: Mystery Hole
- Beckley: Exhibition Coal Mine
- Chester: World's Largest Teapot
- Fairmont: Coal Country Miniature Golf [tips]
- Gassaway: Braxton County Monster Chair No. 1 [tips]
- Harpers Ferry: John Brown Wax Museum
- Huntington: J. Taylor Auto Collection [tips]
- Huntington: Museum of Radio and Technology [tips]
- Kenova: The Pumpkin House: 3000 Jack-o-Lanterns [tips]
- Lesage: Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies [tips]
- Lewisburg: Lost World Caverns - Home of Bat Boy
- Matewan: Matewan Flood Wall
- Moundsville: West Virginia State Penitentiary Tour
- Moundsville: Archive of the Afterlife [tips]
- New Vrindaban: Prabhupada's Palace of Gold
- Parkersburg: Muffler Man
- Parkersburg: Oil and Gas Museum [tips]
- Philippi: Mummies of the Insane
- Point Pleasant: World's Largest Horse: West Virginia State Farm Museum
- Point Pleasant: Mothman Statue
- Point Pleasant: Mothman Museum [tips]
- Point Pleasant: Mothman Souvenirs
- Richwood: Muffler Man - Bunyan [tips]
- Riverton: Seneca Caverns [tips]
- Ronceverte: Organ Cave
- Sam Black Church: Greenbrier Ghost Trial Marker
- Sarah Ann: Burial Ground of the Hatfields
- Shepherdstown: Little House for Lab Brats [tips]
- Shinnston: Giant Coal Miner Charlie [tips]
- Talcott: John Henry Statue
- Unger: The Farnham Colossi
- Unger: King Midas Muffler Man
- Unger: Muffler Man - Bunyan
- Unger: Swimmer Dude
- Unger: Big John
- Unger: Uniroyal Gal
- Weston: Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum [tips]
- Wheeling: Kruger Street Toy and Train Museum [tips]
- White Sulphur Springs: Coal House
- White Sulphur Springs: The Congressional Bunker
- Williamson: House Made of Coal