Tips are recent, often unverified sightings, and will eventually be added to the tracking chart. Please check the Tracking Chart before submitting your own encounters.
Bakersfield, California - The Indian Warrior
Radio station KERN broadcast an interview with Bakersfield realtor Kenny Barnes. He said that his family bought the Indian Warrior -- known then simply as the Big Indian -- for about $1,400 in the mid-1960s, to call attention to the Barnes' Big O Tires store (It was a time when tire brands had Indian names). One of Kenny Barnes' jobs was to climb a ladder and yank out the arrows that had been shot into the Indian, and also to retrieve them from the roof of the store. The family sold the business in 1972 and the Indian went to a school in Oildale.
In the late 1980s he was moved to a private ranch and restored, then in 2001 the rancher returned the Indian to Bakersfield, where he now stands at Ethel's Old Corral Cafe. Kenny Barnes was invited to its dedication.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 06/15/2013]
Indianapolis, Indiana - Mr. Bendo Muffler Man
I drive by Mr. Bendo every day for work, but I finally got the opportunity for a photo op while we were riding our bikes. Such a random Muffler Man![Nikki M, 06/13/2013]
Ralph's Muffler Shop
- 1250 W. 16th St., Indianapolis, IN
- Ralph's Muffler Shop. I-65 exit 115. Drive west on 21st St., then a quick left onto Martin Luther King St. south to 16th St. Turn right on 16th and Mr. Bendo will be about a mile on the right, just before the railroad crossing.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
San Antonio, Texas - Red McComb's Native American Muffler Man
The Native American Muffler Man is at the front of the Red McComb's Superior Hyundai dealership.[Lauren Meyers, 06/03/2013]
This particular Muffler Man has stood in San Antonio since the 1960s, long before Hyundai dealerships came to this land.
- 4800 Nw Loop 410, San Antonio, TX
- Northwest side of town at loop 410. He is inside the loop and across the freeway from Landry's Seafood House. Going westbound, the exit to take is Evers Rd. and then make a U-turn. Eastbound, you would take the Rolling Ridge exit, and he is just ahead at McComb's Used Cars at Manitou Dr.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Boerne, Texas - Cowboy Muffler Man
Close up of the Muffler Man at Jennings Anderson Ford dealership just outside of Boerne, Texas.[Lauren Meyers, 06/03/2013]
This cowboy formerly stood in front of an auto parts store; around 2010 he moved down the street to his current home, which outfitted him in a new shirt and belt buckle.
- Bronx, New York - Muffler Man in the Bronx
Driving north on the Major Deegan Expressway, right before exit 4 (Bronx Terminal Market), there is a muffler man lying down on a rooftop. Anyone else ever spot this guy? He might be missing his head; it's hard to tell.[gigi, 06/01/2013]
- Major Deegan Expressway, Bronx, NY
- On the elevated Major Deegan Expressway/I-87, northbound, just before exit 4, on a rooftop. Lying down.