Tips are recent, often unverified sightings, and will eventually be added to the tracking chart. Please check the Tracking Chart before submitting your own encounters.
Rumford, Maine - Babe the Blue Ox and Bunyan
Babe the Blue Ox now stands next to Paul Bunyan in front of the Rumford Visitor Center. Reunited... and it feels so good.[Snowgal, 09/16/2014]
Babe had stood a few blocks away, in front of a pharmacy, since 2009. It seems cosmically inevitable that Bunyan and Babe end up together.
Oaks, Pennsylvania - Happy Halfwit Muffler Man
A Halfwit Muffler Man has appeared at Arnold's Fun Zone in Oaks. According to the owner, it's one of the two that were in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, on the pier.
When I was in Seaside Heights this summer I could only find one of the two you have listed (The one at the rooftop mini-golf). So this is the other one. It got damaged and removed in Hurricane Sandy and these guys somehow acquired it, repainted it, and put it up three weeks ago. It's in really great shape.[Randi C, 09/08/2014]
Arnold's Family Fun Center
- 422 Business Center, 2200 West Drive, Oaks, PA
- Arnold's Family Fun Center. From I-76/Schuylkill Expressway drive west to King of Prussia exit, Hwy 202 South (West Chester). Stay in right lane for US Hwy 422 West (Pottstown). Exit US Hwy 422 at Oaks, then turn left onto Egypt Rd. At the third light turn left onto Station Ave. Follow signs for Expo Center.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Morton's Gap, Kentucky - Project Restoring Muffler Man with Hideous Head
Joel Baker (usagiants.com) let us know he's just launched a new campaign to restore the Morton's Gap Muffler Man. The statue has no arms and a freakish bag-like head. It's visible in a pasture. The current owners acquired it in 1995 from a Clarksville, Tennessee pawn shop.
Joel, the creator of the American Giants videos, has been filming every step of the odyssey to make this Muffler Man whole. You can help get the giant properly re-headed and restored by supporting Joel's project Kickstarter.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 09/08/2014]
- Mortons Gap-White Plains Rd, Madisonville, KY
- SE of Madisonville. Traveling south on the Pennyrille Parkway, you can see him on the right, near the exit 34 sign before the exit to the Western Kentucky Parkway. Private property - visible from road.
- Taken down for repairs and a new head.
Colorado Springs, Colorado - Muffler Man
A Muffler Man is in front of Copperhead Road Honkey Tonk Saloon. Sporting a cowboy hat, holding a beer, microphone (?), and a guitar. The bar is sort of a roadside attraction itself, with a car ala "Carhenge" buried hood-first by the door.[Adrian O'Leary, 09/06/2014]
It's not a microphone; it's a cigar. The saloon originally had "Redneck Stonehenge" -- three junker cars arranged as sarsens and a lintel -- where the Muffler Man now stands. But the city made the saloon take the cars down.
San Antonio, Texas - Muffler Man - Native American
Red McCombs' Muffler Man greets customers at a San Antonio car dealership.[Leonard J. DeFrancisci, 09/05/2014]
- 4800 Nw Loop 410, San Antonio, TX
- Northwest side of town at loop 410. He is inside the loop and across the freeway from Landry's Seafood House. Going westbound, the exit to take is Evers Rd. and then make a U-turn. Eastbound, you would take the Rolling Ridge exit, and he is just ahead at McCombs' Used Cars at Manitou Dr.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour