Big John Auctioned to WV Muffler Man Collectors
Big John, your pals are waiting...
We heard from George and Pam Farnham that they successfully bid for a Big John statue at an auction for the assets of a closed grocery store in Benton [technically neighboring West City], Illinois on Monday, June 27. The 30-ft. tall fiberglass statue, one of a diminishing number of giant grocery clerks, went for only $2,500.
George is the same fellow who bought the Whittier, CA Midas Muffler Man in 2004 and had it transported all the way to his backyard in Unger, WV. Benton's Big John will be dismantled and shipped within the next week. When he reaches Unger, he will join the Muffler Man and a Big Swimmer/Beach Dude that George and Pam also procured in recent months.
We visited the nutty couple just last week, and caught this moment showing the Beach Dude lying prone near the Muffler Man.[06/27/2005]
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Dec 6: Anxious America, Bigger Button Museum
- Nov 30: Michael Delligatti, Father of the Big Mac (1918-2016)
- Nov 26: Spiderwebman II, We Hope
- Nov 22: Sleep Well, Button King (1930-2016)
- Nov 21: One Log House To Transcend Its One Loggedness
- Nov 14: We’ll Cross That Bridge When We… Oh Wait. Never Mind.