Steamy Sunken Gardens may get naked!
Sunken Gardens -- which was once the home of the King of Kings Christian wax museum -- is in danger of being turned into a nudist resort.
The 100-year-old St. Petersburg, FL, attraction has been on the market for years without a buyer. It became even less attractive earlier this year when the city declared it a historic landmark -- thereby severely limiting the development options of potential purchasers.
Owner Jim Turner says that a Florida man is willing to maintain the gardens, but visitors would be allowed to walk around naked. Sunken Gardens' nature walk -- experienced firsthand by Roadside America -- is a sweaty, broiling nightmare along a beautiful though seemingly endless trail with no exit. Perhaps taking it in the nude would help, but we'd be fearful of being pecked by the flamingos....[10/25/1998]
Sunken Gardens Botanical Park
- 1825 4th St. N., St. Petersburg, FL
- Sunken Gardens Botanical Park. I-275 exit 24. East on 22nd Ave. for about 25 blocks to 4th St. Turn right onto 4th St. Sunken Gardens will be about blocks south, at 4th St. and 18th Ave.
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Jan 1: Sweet 16: Looks Like a Beauty
- Nov 2: Vacation of a Lifetime
- Sep 5: Don’t Pave On Me
- Apr 4: Building the Roadside Capital of the World
- Jan 5: Looking Forward: Walk-Thru Shuttle, Sidewalk Sea Monster
- Nov 14: Dr. Mütter: Surgeon Behind the Specimens