Mr. Potato Head is Official Travel Ambassador of Rhode Island
The state of Rhode Island has named Mr. Potato Head as its "official family-travel ambassador." Dozens of 6-foot tall Mr. Potato Head statues have been installed around the state, part of a tourism promotion to show children what a fun place Rhode Island is to visit.
The Mr. Potato Head toy line is owned by RI-based Hasbro. The "Original" statue is at Hasbro Headquarters, Newport Avenue, in Pawtucket.
The potatoes distributed around the state -- there will be 37 total -- have been creatively customized by artists, sponsoring companies and organizations. A "Surfer Spud" can be seen at the Visitor's Center on I-95, Richmond, while "Edgar Allen Poe-tato" lurks at the Providence Warwick Convention & Visitor's Bureau. Mr. Potato Head Golfer is at the Lindhbrook Golf Course, Hopkinton. "Spud Light" is at the new Beacon Mutual Insurance Headquarters, T.F. Green Airport exit on I- 95, Warwick. "Meet & Potato," is a hotel bellboy at the Newport Marriott, Newport. A "Mr. Potato Head Bulb" beams proudly at Narragansett Electric in Providence.
The plan is for the statues to stay in place into Fall 2000, though we're hoping they are permanent additions to an often overlooked state.
Update: The statues are not permanent, and have been auctioned and scattered in the style of most community mass art projects.[05/07/2000]
- 1027 Newport Ave., Pawtucket, RI
- I-95 exit 2A, then south on Newport Ave. a little over a mile to the Hasbro plant.
- Oct. 2016: Missing from his base. (Call to verify)
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Jan 11: The 6 Death Cars of Bonnie and Clyde
- Jan 3: 2017: Out of the Shadows
- Dec 28: Gatlinburg Tourist Attractions: Fire Resistant
- Dec 6: Anxious America, Bigger Button Museum
- Nov 30: Michael Delligatti, Father of the Big Mac (1918-2016)
- Nov 26: Spiderwebman II, We Hope