Big Indian "Kool" With Seneca Nation
In an advertisement placed in hundreds of Sunday papers, The Seneca Nation gives a thumbs-up to the image of a fiberglass "how-posing" big Indian as a means to sell its state tax-free cigarettes. You can order yours at bigindian.com. We suppose the URL largenativeamerican.com was taken.
Two Indian-style Muffler Men stand at the the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation in Irving, (which, we were informed, is actually Sovereign Territory, not a Reservation). One Indian salutes the Smoke Shop, the other faces westbound I-90, about 1.5 miles north of exit 58.
Both Indians are palms up because palms down "looked like a Nazi salute," according to advertising manager John "Cheech" Catalino, who was sporting a tongue-in-cheek attitude about the smoke shop's big statues, when we chatted with him summer of 2001.
The Big Indian Smoke Shop also boasts the largest walk-in cigar humidor in New York State.[07/28/2002]
Big Indian Smoke Shop
- 453 Milestrip Rd, Irving, NY
- Outside of the Big Indian Smoke Shop. I-90 exit 58, west toward Irving. Turn right onto Hwy 5/US 20, then immediately bear right onto US 20 when Hwy 5 splits off. Make the next right onto Milestrip Rd. The shop is on the right.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Apr 4: Building the Roadside Capital of the World
- Jan 5: Looking Forward: Walk-Thru Shuttle, Sidewalk Sea Monster
- Nov 14: Dr. Mütter: Surgeon Behind the Specimens
- Jun 15: The Do Nothing Machine
- Apr 21: Florida Forbids: Anthropomorphic Alligators
- Mar 20: Derek Costello: Hard-Working Master of Wax