Petrified dog dubbed "Stuckie" in naming contest
A popular exhibit at Waycross, GA's Southern Forest World, a dog that died and became petrified while stuck in a hollow tree, finally has a name. The museum conducted a contest in which anyone could suggest a name for the dog. The winning entry -- "Stuckie" -- was submitted by petrified dog fans in Florida. Stuckie was discovered inside a tree near the Alabama-Georgia state line in the early 1980s by loggers and donated to the museum. The museum surmised "Stuckie" had been hunting in the 1960s and chased a critter up into the tree, where he became wedged and eerily preserved.
Southern Forest World Museum and Environmental Center
- 1440 N. Augusta Ave., Waycross, GA
- Southern Forest World Museum and Environmental Center. On the east side of N. Augusta Ave. just south of Cherokee St.
- T-Sa 9-2 (Call to verify)
- Adults $5.00
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
September 26, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Doug Bast's House of History, Boonsboro, Maryland
- Phil Collins' 1836 Alamo Model, San Antonio, Texas
- B-29 Bomber Collision Site, Weatherford, Texas
- Big Ice Cream Cone, Abbotsford, Wisconsin
- Foamhenge, Natural Bridge, Virginia