World's Largest Chee-to donated to Iowa town
Navy Petty Officer Mike Evans has donated the World's Largest Chee-to to the town of Algona, Iowa, after a fierce online bidding war. Evans, based in Pearl Harbor, discovered the mishapen blob in a regular bag of Chee-tos he bought for his 3-year old son. His eBay auction was cancelled as bidding prices reached millions of dollars. Evans decided the small town of Algona had the right idea, when they bid $180 and planned to enshrine the Chee-to and put it on display as a tourist attraction. He asked them to donate the money, along with $1000 from Chee-to maker Frito-Lay, to a food bank.
The Chee-to arrived by mail on March 10th. It will be shellacked and placed on a velvet cushion under fiberglass.[03/10/2003]
- 1515 N. McCoy St., Algona, IA
- I-90 exit 119. Turn south onto US Hwy 169. Drive 18 miles to Lakota, then turn right to stay on US Hwy 169 for six miles, then left to stay on US 169 for 21 miles. Just before Algona turn left onto US 18. Drive one mile, then turn right at the top of the hill, just at the railroad tracks, onto McCoy St. The Chee-to is on display inside Emeralds Restaurant on the corner.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- May 15: Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Apr 30: Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Apr 24: Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Apr 17: Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- Apr 8: The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Apr 5: Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man