House Made of Coal
Williamson, West Virginia
Weighing in at 65 tons with 2 ft. thick walls, it's the only coal house made entirely of coal. Built in 1933, it was designed by architect H.T. Hicks from an idea by O. W. Evans. It was constructed from blocks of local seam coal donated by coal companies in the region.
Williamson's coal house doesn't really look like a house -- and no one has lived in it as far as we know. It served for many years to promote the county, and continues as the office for the Tug Valley Chamber of Commerce.
In October 2010, the Williamson Coal House was gutted by a fire, but its exterior survived fairly intact. It was repaired and reopened to visitors in September 2011.
West Virginia has a couple of other Coal Houses.