America's Loopiest Lincoln Landmarks
By the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
If an assassin's bullet hadn't cut him down, Abraham Lincoln would have been 200 years old on Feb. 12, 2009.
That gave us pause to reflect. Not on his impact on the Union, his role in freeing slaves, his shrewd leadership and "team of rivals," or the continuing debate about who Lincoln really was. We know Abe by his landmarks -- by what Americans have chosen to display and visit along the highway.
And judging by those statues, tourist attractions and museum exhibits, Abe is still wildly popular. In the lofty fraternity of our most visible highway giants, Lincoln's only real peers are Elvis and Jesus. And they're Kings; he's a President. Only George Washington comes close, but gazing at his false teeth at the National Museum of Dentistry doesn't evoke the emotion of a good Lincoln landmark...
And there are so many distorted echoes of Lincoln around the nation. The editors at RoadsideAmerica.com have selected the most bizarre that they've visited, and created a special gallery of Loopy Lincoln Landmarks:
- Lincoln Watermelon Monument
- "Grow a Beard, Abe!" Girl Monument
- Sharpshooter President's Target Board
- Lincoln Speaks at 1880 Cowboy Town
- Abe Lincoln and Jesus
- Lincoln's Last Bowel Movement
- Lincoln's Death Chair
- Lincoln's Funeral Train
- Piece of Thorax of Lincoln's Killer
- Home of Lincoln's Killer's Killer - A Hole
- Bronzed Foundation of Lincoln's Boyhood Home
- The Lincoln Bank Ledger
- Lincoln Marriage Temple
- Lincoln Robot - Gettysburg Address
Civil War Library Museum, Philadelphia, PA.
Additional Reading on Abraham Lincoln
- Souvenir Chomper Head: Lincoln, The Great Emancigator
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
- Giant Head of Abraham Lincoln
- World's Largest Penny
- Amazing Similarities Between Lincoln and Santa Claus