New York, New York
Just around the corner from the literary lions, Patience and Fortitude (who guard the main branch of the New York Public Library), are some other bookish beasts: the stuffed animals that originally inspired A.A. Milne's Winnie-The-Pooh books. Pooh and his pals are on permanent display in a large glass case in a cheerfully muraled viewing chamber behind the checkout desk in the Childrens Room.
The dirty, matted, and somewhat mangled stuffed animals belonged to Milne's son, Christopher Robin. Milne purchased the original "Winnie" at Harrods department store in London in 1921 for Christopher's first birthday. The bear's original name was Edward. The other toys were acquired throughout the 1920s.
The publishing house E.P. Dutton bought the grubby huggies for $2,500 from A.A. Milne's estate after his death in 1956. Dutton later passed them along to the library.
There's something undeniably aw-shucks and heart-tugging about these survivors of excessive love (and possible dog chewing, according to a library fact sheet). Piglet is particularly beaten up; Eeyore is his usual sad-sack self; Tigger is a bit droopy; Kanga is the only perky one in the bunch.
But who is that new, pearl-wearing, fresh-from-the-factory addition next to Kanga? Why, its Lottie the Otter, created long after Milne was dead, for the 2009 "authorized sequel" Return to Hundred Acre Wood.
In other words...the coveted position of sidekick is a recently donated product of the Disney/Penguin Books marketing machine. [ADB]