Wakeeney, Kansas: Christmas City of the High Plains
A vacant lot has been converted into the "North Pole" in this Christmas-mad town.
Christmas City of the High Plains
Visitor Tips and News About Christmas City of the High Plains
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
For half a century, the town of Wakeeney has touted itself as the "Christmas City of the High Plains." Holiday decorating mania seizes them more fiercely than it does other Kansas towns. An artificial tree, 35-feet tall, is erected at Main Street and Russell Avenue. Between Thanksgiving and New Years Day, a four block area is festooned with lights and other decorations.
A summer visit to Wakeeney will turn up a few Christmas-themed sites -- a lot on Main Street, dubbed "North Pole," features small statues and wall murals. A tool shed in the back looks like the place where a live Santa (perhaps the mayor?) greets children. We didn't see anyone (the mayor?) walking around in a Santa suit, but it was a weekday.... (Thanks to Cassandra for reminding us about this place)
[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 02/26/2005]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 29, 2014
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Geographic Center of the 48 states, Lebanon, Kansas
- Dennis Hopper's Muffler Men, Dodge City, Kansas
- Mini Statue of Liberty, Gaylord, Kansas
- Humerus Osteopathic Statue, Topeka, Kansas
- Fifty-Foot-Tall Concrete Teepee, Lawrence, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Largest Zipper in America, Barre, Vermont
- Glass-Bottom Pull-it-Yourself Raft, Manistique, Michigan
- Grave of a Gypsy Queen, Evansville, Indiana
- Two Guns - Route 66 Attractions In Ruins, Two Guns, Arizona
- Popeye Statue, Springdale, Arkansas
Latest Visitor Tips