Wakeeney, Kansas: Christmas City of the High Plains
A vacant lot has been converted into the "North Pole" in this Christmas-mad town.
Christmas City of the High Plains
Visitor Tips and News About Christmas City of the High Plains
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
For half a century, the town of Wakeeney has touted itself as the "Christmas City of the High Plains." Holiday decorating mania seizes them more fiercely than it does other Kansas towns. An artificial tree, 35-feet tall, is erected at Main Street and Russell Avenue. Between Thanksgiving and New Years Day, a four block area is festooned with lights and other decorations.
A summer visit to Wakeeney will turn up a few Christmas-themed sites -- a lot on Main Street, dubbed "North Pole," features small statues and wall murals. A tool shed in the back looks like the place where a live Santa (perhaps the mayor?) greets children. We didn't see anyone (the mayor?) walking around in a Santa suit, but it was a weekday.... (Thanks to Cassandra for reminding us about this place)
[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 02/26/2005]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 23, 2013
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Fire Hydrant Garden, Topeka, Kansas
- Tow Mater's New Neighbors, Galena, Kansas
- All Veterans Memorial, Emporia, Kansas
- Giant Coca-Cola Can, Emporia, Kansas
- 1,260 Lb. Salt Block and Discovery Well, South Hutchinson, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips