Tonopah, Nevada: Lunar Crater
Caused by a volcanic eruption, not the moon.
- Lunar Crater Rd, Tonopah, NV
- From the intersection of US 6 and US 95 in Tonopah, drive east on US 6 for 49 miles to the intersection of Hwy 375/Extraterrestrial Hwy. Continue driving northeast on US 6 for another 23 miles. You will see a sign marking the turnoff to Lunar Crater. Turn right and drive south for seven miles. Be prepared for a rough dirt road and be careful of sandy spots.
Visitor Tips and News About Lunar Crater
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Very impressive, 430 feet deep crater way off the beaten path. This was not caused by a meteor, but by a violent volcanic eruption. From this crater, you can see another large crater in the side of a mountain called "Big Chair" crater. There is a road you can take to get closer to Big Chair, but I didn't do this because the road was scary enough getting this far. Not bad though if you have a car that can handle it. Bring plenty of food,water, and a spare tire because it is way out in the middle of nowhere!
[Jennifer Saunders, 03/26/2005]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 16, 2014
Nevada Latest Tips and Stories
- Elvis At The LVH (ex Hilton), Las Vegas, Nevada
- Most Photographed Sculpture in Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Brain Health Twisted Building, Las Vegas, Nevada
- World's Tallest Ice Cream Stand, Pahrump, Nevada
- Glow-in-the-Dark KISS Mini-golf, Las Vegas, Nevada
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bible Mini-Golf, Lexington, Kentucky
- Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California, Oakland, California
- Statue of Pegasus, Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Large Floating Rubber Duck, Jacksonville, Florida
- Swamis - Self Realization Fellowship, Encinitas, California
Latest Visitor Tips