Plymouth, Michigan: Robert Wadlow Shoe and Wayward LincolnabiliaIn the Plymouth Historical Museum is a size 37 shoe, custom-made for the World's Tallest Man, plus an impressive collection of out-of-place Lincoln relics, including wax figures, a bearded death mask, and a lock of posthumously clipped hair.
Plymouth Historical Museum
- 155 S. Main St., Plymouth, MI
- Plymouth Historical Museum. I-275 exit 28, west on Ann Arbor Rd, then north on Main St. into downtown. At the corner of Main and Church Sts.
- W, F-Su 1-4 pm. (Call to verify)
- Adults $5, Under 18 $2
Visitor Tips and News About Robert Wadlow Shoe and Wayward Lincolnabilia
Gavin Swantick tipped us about another Robert Wadlow shoe somewhere in Plymouth. So we checked with the Plymouth Historical Museum, which has a bonafide Wadlow size 37 shoe in a basement display. According to Beth Stewart, museum director, "We exhibit the shoe because one of the old shoe stores in Plymouth - Wiloughby's - offered to custom make a pair of shoes for him. I understand that he would come visit your community if someone would do that for him. He came here in the 1930s to get his pair of shoes."
"Out of all the thousands of artifacts we have here - that is the one that kids like the best!"
Plymouth is also known as BB Gun Capital of the World. "Seven different BB gun companies formed in this area, including the famous Daisy Air Rifle Company," Stewart said. "Our museum has exhibits on that history as well."[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 03/24/2005]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- United Memorial Gardens, Plymouth, MI - 7 mi.
- Silvio's Italian American Historical Artistic Museum, Redford, MI - 8 mi.
- Yankee Air Museum, Belleville, MI - 9 mi.
- In the region: Statue of Pope John Paul II, Hamtramck, MI - 21 mi.