New York, New York: "Red Square" Rooftop Statue of LeninPerhaps the most elevated of several scrapped Lenin statues across the U.S.
- 250 E. Houston St., New York, NY
- Houston St., between Aves A and B. On the roof of a 13-story apartment building. Best visible from the west, standing on the south side of Houston St. (the building is on the north side).
- No roof access.
Visitor Tips and News About "Red Square" Rooftop Statue of Lenin
On the top an apartment building called "Red Square", on the north side of Houston Street is what appears to be a bigger-than-lifesize bronze statue of Lenin. The figure appears to be saluting -- a lot like a statue of Lenin in Moscow I recall seeing pictures of being taken down. The building is on the north side of the street, one block east of Katz's Deli, and there's a sign that says "Red Square."[Dan Collins, 06/02/2005]
This Lenin was sculpted by Yuri Gerasimov in the 1980s, but the USSR collapsed before it could be displayed. The statue was discovered in a back yard in Russia, and moved here in 1994.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Giant Mary Holds the Twin Towers, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Handprints of the Stars, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Museum of the American Gangster, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Monument to the Father of Gynecology and Experimenter on Slave Women, New York, NY - 5 mi.