Taylorville, Illinois: Abe Lincoln and Pig StatueTaylorsville's rustic, pig-infested courthouse was familiar to Lincoln the lawyer. The town turned its porker heritage into a unique Lincoln statue.
Christian County Courthouse
- W. Main Cross St., Taylorville, IL
- Downtown, on the courthouse lawn, at the corner of W. Main Cross St. and S. Washington St., facing northwest toward Springfield.
Visitor Tips and News About Abe Lincoln and Pig Statue
The town of Taylorville, Illinois, wanted to bring tourists into town and decided to erect a statue of Abraham Lincoln, who had worked as a young attorney in the Christian County Courthouse. The original plan was for a statue of Abe on horseback -- but it would have cost $250,000, and there were already statues of Lincoln on horseback.... [06/02/2005] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Monument to Kay the Elephant, Taylorville, IL - 3 mi.
- Carpet Spartan HS Mascot, Springfield, IL - 24 mi.
- Cozy Dog Drive In - Birthplace of Hot Dog on a Stick, Springfield, IL - 24 mi.
- Captured Leg of Santa Anna, Springfield, IL - 27 mi.