Memphis, Tennessee: Controversial Grave of Nathan Bedford Forrest
Controversial in the sense that the city has at times wanted to get rid of this large downtown tomb, given Forrest's history as a slave trader and as a member of the Klan. He had been dead 28 years before he was dug up in 1905 and buried under this fancy statue.
- Union Ave., Memphis, TN
- Downtown. I-240 exit 30 onto either Union or Madison Aves, then drive west five blocks to Forrest Park. The statue and grave are on the south side, facing Union Ave.
Memphis Divided Over KKK Grand Wizard's Park
Visitor Tips and News About Controversial Grave of Nathan Bedford Forrest
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Where will the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, find his final rest? His body, as well as that of his wife, is currently buried in Memphis, TN's Forrest Park. But if potstirrers have their way, the bodies will soon be exhumed and moved to Elmwood Cemetery, while the park will be renamed.... [08/01/2005] Complete News Story
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 1, 2014
Tennessee Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Strange Head of Andrew Jackson, Gainesboro, Tennessee
- Feature: Mural of Ronald Reagan, a Great American, Cookeville, Tennessee
- Most Powerful Musical Bi-Polar Tesla Coil, Johnson City, Tennessee
- Muffler Man Holding a Hamburger, Kingsport, Tennessee
- Billy Tripp's Mindfield, Brownsville, Tennessee
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Louisiana State Penitentiary Museum, Angola, Louisiana
- Big Metal Dragon, East Bethany, New York
- Armored Knight, Batavia, New York
- Entertrainment Junction, West Chester, Ohio
- Holy Land USA, Waterbury, Connecticut
Latest Visitor Tips