Manitowoc, Wisconsin: Bernice the CowTan and white and larger than life. Made of fiberglass, currently named "Bernice," the dutiful mascot of the Cedar Crest Ice Cream Parlor.
Cedar Crest Ice Cream Parlor.
- 2000 S 10th St., Manitowoc, WI
- On US 10 at the corner of Jaycee Drive, one block north of Dewey St. and 11 blocks south of US 151/Washington St.
- Store closed Dec-Mar. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Bernice the Cow
She was wrapped with a Sputnikfest banner and space boots for the weekend of the festival. The ice cream parlor is closed December through March.[Haley H, 09/08/2013]
Bessie the big cow is at the Cedar Crest Dairy. For the 100th anniversary of Harley Davidson, she had on a leather vest and a Gatsby hat. She's a little faded and shows some signs of vandalism...[Brian B., 06/19/2008]
Here is the Cedar Crest Dairy Cow. The ice cream shop behind her was open, so I went in and asked the wait staff the name of the cow at pasture on their front lawn. They seemed unsure, but, after a brief conference, decided she was probably "Betsy." Betsy had no serial number.[Chuck Rhode, 09/06/2005]
The cow in Peshtigo is identical to the Chatty Belle/Sissy/Bessie trio, down to the Sculptured Advertising serial number plate. There is also one down the road in Manitowoc in front of the Cedar Crest ice cream factory. While it is missing its plate, it is the same as the other (I've sadly learned to look for a few distinguishing characteristics, like the tail wrapping around the left rear leg).[Craig Thom, 06/09/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Chief Wawatam Engine and Submarine, Manitowac, WI - 1 mi.
- Sputnik Crashed Here, Manitowoc, WI - 2 mi.
- Birthplace of the Ice Cream Sundae, Two Rivers, WI - 7 mi.
- In the region: Dungeon and Only Known Wood Carving of Custer's Last Stand, Kewaunee, WI - 27 mi.