Hampton, Virginia: Air Power Park
15 outdoor acres of jets and rockets. Visit the playground and get your picture taken riding a missile in the sandbox.
- 413 West Mercury Blvd., Hampton, VA
- I-64 exit 265A, then north on LaSalle Ave. On the southwest corner of the intersection of US 258/Mercury Blvd and Hwy 167/LaSalle Ave.
- Daily 9 am - 4:30 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Air Power Park
Visitor Tips and News About Air Power Park
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
With wonderful outdoor exhibits that include real fighter aircraft, missiles and rockets, Air Power Park offers a glimpse of Hampton's role in America's early space exploration and aircraft testing. Admission is free to this 15 acre park that includes a children's playground.
The park is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Open year round except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.
[Supervisor, Hampton Visitor Center, 05/29/2009]
Air Power Park
There is a geodesic domed museum building with indoor exhibits run by the City Dept of Parks and Recreation. The coolest part is the surrounding park -- several acres of actual fighter planes, rockets, missiles, and a playground for the kids. Be sure to climb up inside the rocket-shaped jungle gym and have a picture taken while riding the missile inside the sandbox, just like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove.
[Sam Baker, 10/12/2005]
May 28, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- George Washington Masonic National Memorial, Alexandria, Virginia
- Star Museum, Abingdon, Virginia
- Mini-Graceland, Elvis City, Roanoke, Virginia
- USS Monitor Relics, Replica, Newport News, Virginia
- Statue of Mr. Peanut, Suffolk, Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Giant Bull At Taco Mama, Hot Springs, Arkansas
- Gene Dillard Mosaic House, Durham, North Carolina
- Minneapolis Sputnik Collection, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Castle Gate Mine Disaster Memorial, Scofield, Utah
- Mr. Dynamite: James Brown Mural, Cincinnati, Ohio