Bowman, South Carolina: UFO Welcome CenterJody Pendarvis has spent years building a huge double-decker wooden flying saucer beside his trailer.
Visitor Tips and News About UFO Welcome Center
Took my two kids to this on Saturday. It's just hilarious. Yes, it's in pretty rag-tag shape, but worth taking someone for the first time. Did not see Jody P.[J. Young, 07/24/2010]
We visited the UFO Welcome Center in February of 2009. It seemed to be abandoned and about to fall in on itself. The yard was filled with trash and the trailer appeared to be empty. We were able to take pictures from across the street that did not show the dilapidated condition. We had called ahead and only got voice-mail but no return call. Was glad nobody was there to try and demand $3 admission.[Fred, 03/11/2009]
The UFO Welcome Center isn't a staffed, commercial tourist attraction... but we bet you would've gotten your $3 worth if someone had been home!
I recently spent a month in South Carolina on business and could not pass up the opportunity to meet Jody and his gang of cats and a newly acquired canine friend referred to as Brutus. I wrote about it here: ufowelcomecenter.blogspot.com
Complete with exclusive videos of Mission Control!
While I may be poking some fun, Jody was a very nice guy and very welcoming to my friends and I.[Evan Murphy, 01/11/2009]
A friend of mine just stopped by and spoke to Jody. He is well and was busy working on the ship's upper saucer. She also reported that Jody's fence has been repaired, and he built a small saucer cat feeder.[Rachel Stern, 01/11/2008]
I just got an email from a friend saying he stopped by and spoke with Jody today. He had some damage to the vessel from Sunday's NorEaster...but all is well.[Rachel Stern, 04/20/2007]
UFO Welcome Center
- 4004 Homestead Rd, Bowman, SC
- Jody almost never answers his phone, or returns messages, but he's usually around from 10 AM to noon during the summer months. Look for his spotted pickup truck, then walk around to the trailer back door and knock politely. I-95 exit 82. Drive west nine miles into Bowman. At the Family Dollar and gas station turn right onto Homestead Rd, UFO ahead on left.
- Call ahead. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Teapot Museum in Big Teapot, Elloree, SC - 14 mi.
- Animatronic Mr. Snider and Stuffed Mule, Elloree, SC - 14 mi.
- Slave Relics Museum, Walterboro, SC - 31 mi.
- In the region: Washington Statue Left Damaged To Show Yankee Evil, Columbia, SC - 49 mi.