Hampton, New Hampshire: Memorial to a WitchEunice "Goody" Cole wasn't burned, but she did have a stake driven through her dead heart. Some 300 years later New Hampshire felt guilty and put a plaque on a rock in her memory.
- 40 Park Ave., Hampton, NH
- US Hwy 1 (Lafayette Rd) just north of its intersection with Hwy 101 (Exeter-Hampton Expy). Turn east on Park Ave. The memorial rock is across the street from the Tuck Museum, at Founder's Park on Meeting House Green.
Visitor Tips and News About Memorial to a Witch
Eunice "Goody" Cole was the only New Hampshire resident to be condemned as a witch. She was imprisoned in 1656 for various crimes -- mostly being creepy, old, and cranky -- but died before the witch trials of 1692. The residents of Hampton reportedly drove a stake through her dead heart before dumping her corpse in a long-lost grave.
By 1938 the town was feeling guilty about what it had done to Goody, and decided to erect a memorial in her honor. They finally got around to it in 1963, when a big rock with a plaque on it was placed across the street from the Tuck Museum, which has an exhibit about Goody and an urn that holds dirt from where some people think that she might have been buried.[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 12/03/2005]