Great Falls, Montana: Shortest River In The WorldAll 201 feet of the Roe River can be walked in one minute. A plaque officially designates it the "Shortest River In The World."
- 4321 Giant Springs Rd, Great Falls, MT
- From downtown, take the US Hwy 87/Northeast Bypass/River Rd, then turn north onto Giant Springs Rd. Drive one mile, then turn left into the fish hatchery parking lot. Follow the path to Giant Springs; the "river" connects it to the Missouri River.
Visitor Tips and News About Shortest River In The World
There's this park outside of Great Falls, Giant Springs, and right next to the Missouri, there is a plaque recognizing the Roe River as the "The Shortest River In The World," according to Guinness. Luckily it's not the only attraction -- there is a fairly nice park, a fish hatchery (with some murky tanks with fish fry on display) and information, as well as a Lewis and Clark interpretive center on the way there.
Up the road, there's a place called Rainbow Dam with a pretty little scenic overlook, poised so you can glance out at the water flowing from the dam there. Not bad, considering the only other thing mentioned about this lovely city is a collection of model airplanes in a tiny airport. There's a booth where they used to take admission for entry for the park, but I've been going for years and have yet to be charged for entry.[Sophie, 06/08/2006]
All 201 feet of river can be traversed in a minute.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Big John - Cowboy Muffler Man, Great Falls, MT - 3 mi.
- Lee Steen's Tree People, Great Falls, MT - 3 mi.
- The Sip 'n Dip Lounge: Mermaids!, Great Falls, MT - 4 mi.
- In the region: Monument to World's Greatest Girls Basketball Team of 1904, Fort Shaw, MT - 28 mi.