Lawai, Kauai, Hawaii: Hawaiian Trading Post
Good gag photo-ops, and a giant clam shell with bowling ball "pearls."
- HI Hwy 530, Lawai, Kauai, HI
- Just southeast of the intersection of 50 and Koloa Rd (530).
Hawaiian Trading Post
Visitor Tips and News About Hawaiian Trading Post
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The island of Kauai is known more for its natural charms, so it's a challenge to find a worthy roadside attraction -- but here's one.
From the main road (50), this looks like the typical Hawaiian souvenir shop, though it claims to offer the world's largest selection of Ni'ihau shell jewelry.
If you turn onto Koloa Road, though and enter the parking lot, you are greeted by a large concrete clam shell loaded with bowling ball pearls. The signs on the side of the trading post indicate there's a shell museum, but it was more of a retail shop.
The real treat, though, are the photo ops at the fake wave with surfboard, Miss Kauai cut-out, and the Tiki statues.
[Jay Kirby, 07/16/2006]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 23, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Hawaii Latest Tips and Stories
- Grand Canyon of the Pacific, Waimea, Kauai, Hawaii
- Iolani Palace and Coronation Pavilion, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
- Tiny Church, Kahaluu-Keauhou, Big Island, Hawaii
- The Painted Church, Captain Cook, Big Island, Hawaii
- King Kamehameha I Statue, Kapaau, Big Island, Hawaii
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Beatles/Classic Rock Ice Cream Shoppe, Pacific Grove, California
- Metrobot, Cincinnati, Ohio
- World's Largest Kokopelli, Camp Verde, Arizona
- Original Chick-fil-A Dwarf House, Hapeville, Georgia
- Right-Wing Uncle Sam Billboard, Chehalis, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips