Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole!A bulls-eye on the floor literally marks the spot where Louisiana's boss (and presidential hopeful) "The Kingfish" was gunned down in the state capitol in 1935. You can still put your fingers in the bullet holes.
Louisiana State Capitol
- State Capitol Drive, Baton Rouge, LA
- Louisiana State Capitol. I-110 exit onto North St. West to 3rd St, then north to the towering Capitol building.
Visitor Tips and News About Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole!
While at the state capitol building, check the ceiling of the Senate chamber for a pencil that was embedded by a bomb explosion in 1970. Also, visit the observation deck for an awesome view of Baton Rouge and the Mississippi River. Plus there's a nifty little gift store at the deck.
Metal detectors are in place at the entrance, so leave behind metal objects when you visit. Parking and access are best when the legislature is not in session (typically March - June).[Jeff, 07/31/2013]
My children and I went last week... They are still talking about "the bullet hole and the guy with the glasses (Carl Weiss) that killed Huey P. Long."[B, 10/08/2010]
In the Louisiana state capitol building, if you walk around the elevators to the Governor's office door at the rear of the building, you can see the multiple bullet holes in the marble wall where Huey P. Long was shot. In 1935, as the Senator was walking to the Senate chamber, Dr. Carl Weiss stepped out from behind the pillar and shot him in the abdomen. Huey's body guards fired about 48 slugs into Dr. Weiss. Put your finger in a couple of bullet holes for some hands-on history![Frank Finucane, 08/06/2006]
There's also an "X" on the floor to mark the spot where The Kingfish fell.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Speechifying Huey Long Statue, Death Gun, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- Big Root Beer Mug, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- WWII Destroyer Kidd - Pirate of the Pacific, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Dr. Charles Smith African-American Heritage Museum, Hammond, LA - 44 mi.