Salem, Massachusetts: New England Pirate Museum
Bloody pirate lore: a change of pace from all of the bloody witch lore elsewhere in Salem.
- 274 Derby St., Salem, MA
- Downtown, just west of Pickering Wharf and next to the Salem Beer Works restaurant.
- May-Oct. daily 10 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
New England Pirate Museum
Visitor Tips and News About New England Pirate Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
As it turns out, there's more than just pointy hats, scarlet letters, gabled houses and sour-looking judges in Salem. There are also pirates.
Salem was a bustling seaport in its day, and a few of the Carribean's most infamous originally shipped out to sea from the New England area. This museum gives a quick and informative tour (complete with snarling and sass from the costumed tour guide) of some of the more nefarious characters, including the grisly endings of the pirates' stories. The presentation and displays are pretty good, and the gift shop can provide something to break up all that witch memorabilia the rest of the town loads you up on.
[Jesse Heindl, 08/30/2006]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 30, 2014
Massachusetts Latest Tips and Stories
- Birthplace of the Gerrymander, Boston, Massachusetts
- Miniature Pooh Stump House, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- The Notorious Turtle Boy, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Tuft's Larger Than Life Teddy, Boston, Massachusetts
- Baldwin Apple Monument, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Sea Ranch Chapel - Conquistador Helmet Church, Sea Ranch, California
- Head of Mr. Cost Plus, Resaca, Georgia
- Cadillac Ranch-esque RV Park, Amarillo, Texas
- Chinatown Gate, Portland, Oregon
- David Grohl Alley, World's Largest Drumsticks, Warren, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips