Wytheville, Virginia: Big Walker Lookout100 foot observation tower at the top of Big Walker Mountain.
- 8711 Stony Fork Rd, Wytheville, VA
- Old Route 52 near Wytheville, Virginia.
- Daily 10 am - 5 pm, Summer 10 am - 6 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Big Walker Lookout
You cannot cross the swinging bridge any more. It has a big gap in it. Walk across the highway to the wooden observation platform. The view is truly remarkable.[Carolyn, 08/21/2013]
Big Walker Lookout is a 100 foot observation tower at the top of Big Walker Mountain. Adjoining the tower is a swinging bridge. Until recently, visitors had to cross the bridge in order to access the tower. The old gift shop burnt down and a new one recently opened (BW Country Store). Due to the slight change in location, you can skip the bridge if it makes you nervous (as if the tower wouldn't!).
Ages ago there was also a snake pit, and a chair lift that took you to a higher viewer point. Today, these two attractions are gone, but there is a short hiking trail. Just down the road is an old west style town named Virginia City.[Mark Turner, 09/16/2006]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grave of Doctor Pepper, Rural Retreat, VA - 11 mi.
- Great Lakes to Florida Highway Museum, Wytheville, VA - 10 mi.
- School with Most Multi-Level Entrances, Bluefield, WV - 15 mi.
- Raymond F. Ratcliffe Memorial Transportation Museum, Pulaski, VA - 25 mi.