Portland, Oregon: Three Groins in the Fountain
Portland, Oregon - Three Groins in the Fountain
Visitor Tips and News About Three Groins in the Fountain
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In downtown Portland, by the Standard Insurance Building (formerly the Georgia-Pacific Building), is a white sculpture of oddly obscene porportions! It is titled "The Quest" and was created by Count Alexander von Svoboda in 1970. According to the Artist Statement: "It depicts the growth of today and tomorrow and the awakening to the future. I wanted to have complete contrast between this piece of sculpture and the Georgia-Pacific Building. The sculpture is designed to lead the beholder to look towards the middle of the building and then up."
I don't know about all that -- the puzzlingly entertwined body parts and scantily clad limbs could get any other artist in the hot seat. But since Portlanders are so laid back, they don't mind the sculpture. Apparently one nickname for this sculpture is "Three Groins in the Fountain."
Three Groins in the Fountain:
Address: 900 S.W. Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR
Directions: Plaza of the Standard Insurance Building, S.W. Fifth Avenue between Salmon and Taylor.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 22, 2014
Oregon Latest Tips and Stories
- Oregon State Hospital Cremains Memorial, Salem, Oregon
- World's Smallest Harbor, Depoe Bay, Oregon
- Statue of Joe the Sea Lion, Lincoln City, Oregon
- Abraham Lincoln Reads on a Horse, Lincoln City, Oregon
- Statue of Beloved Brothel Madam, Pendleton, Oregon
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Beatles/Classic Rock Ice Cream Shoppe, Pacific Grove, California
- Metrobot, Cincinnati, Ohio
- World's Largest Kokopelli, Camp Verde, Arizona
- Original Chick-fil-A Dwarf House, Hapeville, Georgia
- Right-Wing Uncle Sam Billboard, Chehalis, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips