Long Beach, Washington: World's Largest Spitting Clam
A Long Beach institution, the long missing squirting clam returned on April 19, 2014 reborn as the spitting clam, firing watery bobbers on the hour, or on-demand spits for a quarter.
- 5th St. SE, Long Beach, WA
- Downtown, next to the World's Largest Frying Pan. On the north side of 5th St. SE just east of Hwy 103/Pacific Ave.
- Free spit on the hour 7 AM - 11 PM
- 25 cents to make it spit
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Return of the World's Largest Spitting Clam
Visitor Tips and News About World's Largest Spitting Clam
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
When Long Beach's annual Clam Festival was mothballed over a decade ago, so was the World's Largest Spitting Clam. Made of driftwood, standing about five feet tall, it was topped by a white spout (the "clam") that would shoot water several feet high. In 2013 the Festival was revived. A year later, on April 19, 2014, the mayor of Long Beach cut a ribbon and the newly recommissioned Clam made its first spit. The improved clam not only spits for free on the hour, it also spits on demand for anyone who drops a quarter into an adjacent coin slot. [RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 04/21/2014]
World's Largest Squirting Clam
Next to the World's Largest Frying Pan is the World's Largest Squirting Clam -- most likely it's the World's *Only* Squirting Clam. It's about five feet tall, made of what looks like driftwood, and has a large, white spout on the top. During the opening ceremonies of the annual Clam Festival, the clam "squirts water up in the air, often several feet high!" say the locals.
[Wink Junior, 02/27/1997]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 2, 2015
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- Flaming Geyser State Park, Auburn, Washington
- Video: Yesteryear Travel: Century 21 Calling..., Seattle, Washington
- Muffler Man - Stevedore Man, Everett, Washington
- World's Largest Egg, Winlock, Washington
- Flying Saucer with Transporter Beam, Everett, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: World's Largest Collection of Autographed Baseballs, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Flea Market Mascot Big Cow, Savannah, Georgia
- Blue Angel Weather Vane, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Cathedral of Junk, Austin, Texas
- Old Hardhide - Town Gator in a Cage, Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips