Camden, Maine: Controversial Dead Seagull
Mounted in an ornate frame in a restaurant, Alexander the seagull had been dead for 150 years before he ran afoul of an obscure federal law that almost had him banished -- but the town rallied to save him.
Cappy's Chowder House
- 1 Main St., Camden, ME
- Cappy's Chowder House, Downtown, on the east side of US Hwy 1/Main St., at the corner of Bay View St.
- Summer months. (Call to verify)
Feds Bless Migratory Path for Dead Seagull
Visitor Tips and News About Controversial Dead Seagull
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
For the past two decades the big attraction at Cappy's Chowder House in Camden, Maine, has been a big, dead seagull, under glass in a gilded Victorian frame several feet tall. The greater black-backed gull, which hung on a wall in the upstairs dining room, resembles a profile of an Indian chief, with its feathers flattened around its body like a halo.... [12/10/2006] Complete News Story
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 6, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Maine Latest Tips and Stories
- House From The Movie "Pet Sematary", Hancock, Maine
- Vision of Uncle Tom, Brunswick, Maine
- Giant L.L. Bean Boot, Freeport, Maine
- Elmer's Barn of Junk and Dead Things, Coopers Mills, Maine
- Maine Tribute Moose, Van Buren, Maine
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Coffinwood, Pahrump, Nevada
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
- Grave of the Oldest Civil War Soldier, Chillicothe, Iowa
- Munch Box, Chatsworth, California
- Site of World's First Radio Telescope, Wheaton, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips