Kewaunee, Wisconsin: Dungeon and Only Known Wood Carving of Custer's Last StandA small, dark set of jail cells that makes for good gag photos and shelters a unique example of the woodcarver's art.
Kewaunee Historical Jail Museum
- 613 Dodge St., Kewaunee, WI
- In the Kewaunee Historical Jail Museum. Hwy 29 into town. Right on 1st St., then left on Vilet St. to the Courthouse Square.
- Daily noon - 4 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Dungeon and Only Known Wood Carving of Custer's Last Stand
According to the director of the Cook County Historical Society Jail Museum, this is "the last authentic jail with dungeon-type jail cells in Wisconsin." That's a lot of modifiers to tag onto "dungeon."
In truth, this is a tiny jail -- it has only six cells -- built in 1876 and used until 1969. It's now a local historical museum, although one of the cells has been left as it was so that tourists can sit in it (The lock was removed when school kids kept locking each other in.).
The other five cells are filled with exhibits, including the only known wood carving of Custer's Last Stand -- by a local clockmaker -- and a small model of the U.S.S. Pueblo -- a Navy spy ship that bumbled its way into the hands of the North Koreans -- which was built and launched here.[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 12/02/2005]
The last authentic jail with dungeon-type jail cells in wisconsin is located thirty miles east of Green Bay. The jail was built in 1876 and served as a jail and shriffs residence until 1969! The building now houses a museum which also has the only known wood carving of Custer's Last Stand.[Bonnie Schuller, 03/04/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Old Salty, Algoma, WI - 11 mi.
- Melvin the Pointing Mouse, Sturgeon Bay, WI - 22 mi.
- UFO Landing Port, Poland, WI - 16 mi.
- World's First Gas-Powered Residential Clothes Dryer, Two Rivers, WI - 21 mi.