New York, New York: Metal Rats of NYCOn the canopy above the Lexington Avenue side entrance to Grand Central Station. A bit of what passes for whimsy in The Big Apple.
- 420 Lexington Ave., New York, NY
- On the canopy above the Grand Central Station side entrance, through the Graybar Building. On the west side of Lexington Ave. at the corner of 43rd St.
Visitor Tips and News About Metal Rats of NYC
Metal rats continue their ascent on the canopy above the Graybar Building entrance.[Jerome Strauss, 03/22/2012]
On the canopy above the entrance to the Graybar Building and Grand Central Station near the corner of 43rd St and Lexington Avenue are three cast metal rats just below the rat guards on the support rods. An architectural detail without an explanation. Evidently the architects (Sloan and Robertson) of the building had done prior buildings with a nautical theme; the reason for these rats has not been fully explained however.
A wonderful and enigmatic detail that most commuters pass under daily without noticing.[Phil Pasquini, 01/31/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Daily News Earth Globe, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Giant Wall Chessboard, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Original Pooh, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Time Capsules from the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs, Queens, NY - 7 mi.