Oceola, Ohio: Grave of Warhorse Frank
His tombstone was paid for by fellow Civil War vets.
- 4064 Marion-Melmore Rd, Oceola, OH
- Note: private residence, on farm of Bill Stanley, stop and ask for permission and directions - hard to find way back on the farm.
- Ask permission at farm.
Grave of Warhorse Frank
Visitor Tips and News About Grave of Warhorse Frank
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Civil War Horse Frank, of the 12th Ohio Cavalry, died Sept 11, 1886 at age 28. His obituary made the Bucyrus Journal. Frank died about the time of a Veterans reunion in Bucyrus. The men of the Keller and Leith Posts of the G.A.R. took old Frank out to the farm of Capt Harter and buried him there. They took up a collection and placed a large granite monument on his grave.
At Veterans reunions, when the bugle sounded calls, Frank would trot up to the flag, still ready for battle...Frank is also said to have accompanied his rider, Abe Conger, into a local tavern in Nevada, Ohio.
[Brent Nimmo, 02/14/2007]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 19, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Full Size and Mini Oil Derricks, Bremen, Ohio
- Metrobot, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Crazy Faces in Doorways, Columbus, Ohio
- Jeff the Giant Sloth, Carnivorous Fish, Columbus, Ohio
- Biggest Year-Round Christmas Museum in the U.S., Medina, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Broken Symmetry Sculpture, Batavia, Illinois
- Shoe Tree Park, Park City, Utah
- La Salette Shrine, Enfiel, New Hampshire
- Ferocious Fish Sculpture, Tampa, Florida
- Lambert's, Home of Throwed Rolls, Ozark, Missouri
Latest Visitor Tips