Eleanor, West Virginia: Paul Bunyan and BabeLocked away in a shed at the Putnam County Fairgrounds, Bunyan and Babe are rolled out for warm weather events.
- County Park Rd., Eleanor, WV
- From Hwy 62, turn on E. St/Co Hwy 35/13 and follow signs into park.
- Locked up most of year in storage bdg in back of park.
Visitor Tips and News About Paul Bunyan and Babe
Paul Bunyan and Babe (formerly of the Paul Bunyon Truck Stop off I-64's Exit 39) can be seen at the fairgrounds at the Putnam County Park in Eleanor, West Virginia.[Angie, 05/11/2009]
Eleanor calls itself the "Cleanest Town in West Virginia." Apparently that tidiness extends to keeping the Bunyan and Babe in storage until the summer and fair events. Hope they've found a more permanent spot since our visit!
Be advised that the Paul Bunyan and Babe which stood at the Charleston West 76 Truck Stop on I-64 west of Charleston, West Virginia have been moved. According to an article in the Charleston Daily Mail for 4/7/99, the fiberglass hero was donated to the Putnam County Fairgrounds by the new owners of the truck stop, who are remodeling. Paul and Babe are now locked away in a barn at the fairgrounds in Eleanor, WV. The donation was sought and planned by Nate Wills, owner of Town & Country Supply in Nitro, WV. Wills hopes to have the figures mounded on wheeled platforms, so that they can be brought out for display during the Fair each year.
Four antique wooden wagons, also formerly displayed at the truck stop, went to historic displays in Buffalo and Winfield WV.[Charlie Cooper, 04/10/1999]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Water Monster's Daughter, Hurricane, WV - 9 mi.
- Paul Bunyan and Babe, Nitro, WV - 9 mi.
- Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies, Lesage, WV - 20 mi.
- World's Largest Horse: West Virginia State Farm Museum, Point Pleasant, WV - 27 mi.